We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car renting in Seattle area

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Car renting in Seattle area

I found that the car rental at SEATAC is double the rate of what I can find outside of the airport

(such as Renton which is less than 10 miles away from the airport). Does this sound right to you?

I'm thinking of taking a taxi from the airport to the outside rental location. Even with the taxi

fare, it seems to be cheaper than renting at the airport. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
539 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

Yes, it is much more expensive to rent at the airport. If you're coming into Seattle, you can take Link light rail or a shuttle into town, and rent a car here if/when you need it. Depending on where you're headed and how much time you have, Renton may be a good choice.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

Dollar and Thrifty are both running a great promo for either a premium car or mid-size SUV. The premium car is $32.99 a day and the SUV $33.99.

I ran into the same problem with expensive rates in Portland, but we have a premium reserved from Thrifty and the total was $475 for 13 days. Lowest rate on Kayak for a premium is slightly less than $1300 for the same dates.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

We are coming to Seattle later this month and have been researching car rental rates. The only thing with Thrifty and Dollar is they don't tell you this until you get to check out but they will charge you an extra $10-$13 per day for an additional driver even it is your spouse. So if you need to have two drivers then figure in the additional costs.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

I,m not sure but if you book through AAA there is no extra charge?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

Only no charge for AAA members with Hertz- at least that is what my AAA website states.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

According to AAA Dollar/Thrifty charges $7 per day for additional drivers even with their AAA discount. No AAA discount card then it is $10 per day for additional drivers.

7. Re: Car renting in Seattle area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 06:18