We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Tacoma

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Tacoma

I am staying in Tacoma for 7 days and plan to spend some time in Seattle, visit Mt. Ranier and also visit Olympic National Park. Unfortunately, I booked the hotel with no cancellation, so I will have to drive from Tacoma to ONP. It seems like a day is not enough for ONP. If I go during the weekdays, will it still take 3 hours from Tacoma to ONP? How is the driving condition at night, if I leave ONP late (say 8:00PM) and head back to Tacoma? Thank you for your help.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Tacoma

When is your trip?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Tacoma

My advice would be to stay near ONP and at least stay over night up there. The drive is a bit long, so you won't get to do too much by the time you get there and have to turn around. For that night, I would eat the cost of the hotel in Tacoma and buy another night on top of it. You'll have a better time and make better use of the limited time you have here.

Do visit Seattle and do visit Mt. Rainier. Both are musts. There isn't too much in Tacoma, although if you like cars, the LeMay Car Museum recently opened and is supposed to have a good collection. The Museum of Glass is also based in Tacoma. Good places to eat in Tacoma are fairly scarce, but there is currently a mini-revival going on in the Hilltop neighborhood (which traditionally has a bad reputation. It isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but it is far, far, from gentrified): The 1111 (at 1111 S 11th) makes great sandwiches; The broken spoke is a super friendly neighborhood biker (as in human powered) bar; and 1022 South (at 1022 South J St) is actually a fantastic cocktail bar. All of the above get my stamp of approval for being places that would fit right in in the trendy neighborhoods in Seattle.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
75 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Tacoma

Percival Landing in Olympia has a nice walking path along the waterfront and a farmers market (really big) Thurs-Sun). The community of Proctor above Ruston Way is a nice little town. Ruston Way is a nice stroll along the water (did I mention there is water everywhere) and lots of restaurants. Downtown Tacoma has several museum and the Glass Museum is a must.

4. Re: Day trips from Tacoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17