We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
65 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

We have about 4 hrs in Seattle on a weekday morning this week. We are staying at a downtown hotel and would like to go to Chihuly Garden & Glass and Pike's Fish Market.

The Fish Market opens early at 630. Chihuly opens at 10am. I was thinking we grab some breakfast near the market at about 8-9am and then head over to Chihuly.

Questions:

1- Is there ample parking at both Pike's and Chihuly's?

2- Is 2-3 hrs enough time at Chihuly's? We have 4 children ages 13/12/11/9.

TJ

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

My suggestion is to give the car a rest. Parking and driving downtown is a mess at times especially during the weekdays. If you are downtown walk to Pike Place market. After you are done there walk to Westlake Center which is about 3 blocks east and then take the Metro tram to the center. I forget what the fare is but it is fun and touristy. If you prefer to drive, go to Pike Place then go back to your hotel to drive to the center. Parking at the center is much easier - avoid Mercer at all cost. You can easily walk to Chihuly, EMP, and the Needle. There are tons of places to eat breakfast but if you are looking for something easy and fast- go to the original starbucks in Pikes Place or the other food stalls around there.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Sorry the answer to your second question... 1 hour should be enough for Chihuly. I want to warn you that there is a carnival like venue at the center and your kids might be more interested in that....at any rate have fun in Seattle. The weather should be pretty good this week.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Yes, plenty of pay parking at both locations.

Timing at the Chihuly Garden & Glass depends on the interest level of your children. I'm fairly confident that 1-2 hours would be plenty of time.

The Monorail runs between Westlake Center (shopping mall) and Seattle Center. http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Enjoy your visit. Look really hard for signs that say "Pike's" or "fish market." You won't find any. The best parking for visiting the Pike Place Market is accessed from Alaskan Way, down on the waterfront. Park in the parking garage (duh) and take the elevator up to the market itself.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

There is ample pay parking at both places. Normally I would say walk from any downtown hotel to Pike Place Market, and take the Monorail from Westlake to the Seattle Center, but if you're short on time and ok with the expense, driving will perhaps be the most efficient.

Chihuly Garden & Glass is beautiful, but not that large. Two hours whould be more than sufficient, one is adequate. Don't shortchange your time at Pike Place Market, there is a lot more to see and do there.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
65 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Any restaurants near Chihuly you'd recommend? There is a cafe in Chihuly that got nice ratings. Maybe we'll eat there for lunch. The Space Needle restaurant was already fully booked so we can't eat there. Going north from Chihuly out of the city.

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

Street parking in the downtown core down to the waterfront has gone up to $4/hour south of Pine and Stewart/Olive. From that border north to Bell and from Alaskan Way (the waterfront) heading east crossing Western, through the market area and from 1st-6th is $2.50 an hour. Be careful though because it is only a two hour limit from 8a-5p and WATCH very carefully all signs. Each block has a lot of restricted areas (commercial loading zones, 3 min passenger pick up drop off, no parking times during rush periods (especially on 1st Avenue) etc.).

The Public Market Public Garage on Western has an early bird which is now $10 for entry before 9:30am. If you are going to spend 4 hours or more in the downtown core including the Market and Waterfront putting your car here for the day makes sense. There is no longer any bus ride free zone so taking a bus or monorail to Seattle Center and back is going to cost a no less than $13.75 (off peak) for the six of you per way. On the other hand don't forget to count into the equation parking at Seattle Center.

Parking in Belltown north (up to Denny basically right across from Seattle Center) is a value parking area. It is $2 per hour and you can park for 4 hours. An even better value is Uptown (lower Queen Anne and the area surrounding Seattle Center ) from 2nd Ave W. eastward to 5 Ave. N. (north of Denny and Broad) and from John north to Roy (same E, W and S boundaries). Parking in this area is $1.50 per hour for up to 4 hours. Just to the east in the uptown triangle area parking goes to $1 per hour and 10 hour limit.

seattle.gov/transportation/parking/docs/2012…

seattle.gov/transportation/…20Rates_fin.pdf

seattle.gov/transportation/…paidparking.htm

pikeplacemarket.org/pages/public-market-gara…

North of Seattle Center as you start getting into the residential area you can find areas of free but time limited parking. Just know that they do aggressively enforce. I just got a $40+ ticket for exceeding the time limit in a free parking zone there. Further up the hill is free parking without time limitations but for most people walking up that hill several blocks to find the car is not worth the extra hassle.

Depending on what you like to do you could walk to Pike Place Market then walk on to Seattle Center. It is a .8 miles from Steinbrueck Park at the northern edge of the market to the SW corner of Seattle Center (the Pacific Science Center area). It is 1 mile to from Steinbrueck Park to Chihuly Garden and Glass. That's about a 20 minute walk. The walk, primarily down 1st Avenue will be pleasant enough during a weekday and safe.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

I haven't tried Collections Café myself yet, but I do hear good things about it. For a more casual lunch there is a sort of food court in the Armory Building on the Center grounds, with various choices. Also a number of restaurants in the streets immediately adjacent to the Center. One particularly popular place is Toulouse Petit, at the corner of Mercer and Queen Anne.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

I found the Collections Cafe excellent although it has been awhile since we have been. The restaurant is filled with the non-blown-glass collections of Dale Chihuly, which I find an interesting concept for a gallery all about the artist's blown glass. It is a modestly upscale and contemporary but still informal restaurant with modern Pacific NW style fusion. The consulting chef was Jason Wilson, a nationally recognized Seattle chef who owns Crush. Certainly a nicer (and not a cheap pick) but good atmosphere and the most convenient for your plan. I think you could all find something to eat there. Here is the menu:

chihulygardenandglass.com/collections_menu.p…

Collections gets 4-4.5* reviews from user review sites and 92% on Urbanspoon.

At 4th and Cedar (about .1 mile from the Chihuly Garden and Glass) is Tillikum Place Cafe. It gets 4-4.5* and about 85% on TripAdvisor. They do modern Pacific NW cuisine. The food is simple but good. They do a lunch that has a brunchy feel 11-3pm weekdays with Brunch Sa-Su 8a-3p. Dutch babies are a specialty but they have some salads, sandwhiches, quiche and savory tarts plus other more traditional breakfast dishes. http://www.tilikumplacecafe.com/menus.html

The Armory building mentioned above has food court with Skillet Counter, a spin off from a popular food truck. The menu is small but approachable -- particularly for the kids.

skilletstreetfood.com/restaurants/…

Another nearby option is POP Kitchen and Bar at Experience Music Project and the Sci Fi Museum (basically just on the other side of the Space Needle near the corner of 5th Avenue. The menu is heavy on quality burgers, sandwiches and pizzas. empmuseum.org/visit/pop-kitchen-plus-bar.aspx

Tolouse Petit is a very popular French/New Orleans styled restaurant. It is not a long walk but it is about .5-.6 miles across Seattle Center and up into the lower Queen Anne neighborhood. It is a fairly extensive lunch menu with a lot of options at a decent price point overall.

toulousepetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04…

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chihuly Garden & Glass AND Pike's Fish Market

It looks to me like the Chihuly and the EMP are pretty close together - is that right? Is it reasonable to expect to do both in one day or is that overkill? SOunds like the Chihuly Muesum is on the small side, but the EMP looks larger. We will be traveling from Ballard, no car - probably monorail? Thanks all!