We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

Sterling, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

My husband and I are headed to Seattle in mid-October. We have never been to the Northwest before. I am trying to convince him to move that direction. We fly in Friday eve and leave mid-day Monday. I am all about natural beauty, and he is too. But, he is an artist, and I would love to show him the opportunities for artists in the area. We can stay in Seattle or on an island. Should we rent a car, or can we do day trips with public transportation fairly easily. I don't want to spend the trip in a car. I want to be out hiking, walking around, meeting people, etc... Likewise, we love wine. We are novices, but it would be fun to do a tasting... What are your suggestions? What to do? Where to stay? And, thank you for your help!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

I would rent a car for the trip you describe. We have good public transportation wthint the downtown core and outlying areas, but to get out of the city and see the beautiful countryside around, you really need a car to do that.

May you'd like to stay at a B&B in one of the neighborhoods? www.sbmansion.com is a nice one near my home on Capitol Hill, also near Volunteer Park, the restaurants along 15th Ave East and Broadway, and right on a busline for downtown. Free street parking.

You could take easy day trips down to Mt. Rainier, out to Snoqualmie Falls, over to Whidbey Island.

suze

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

welcome, There are quite a few 'artsy' areas but natural beauty if found away from the urban center of Seattle so yes a car would be nice. There are artists communitys in La Conner and many other places. In a short period of time and you not knowing the area I'd suggest a few tours perhaps.

customizedtours.net

has a good winery and waterfall tour

Bon vivant does a great wine tour

toursnorthwest.com

does a good city and Mt. Rainier tour

I'd suggest staying in Seattle. Spaend a day downtown and at the Market. Read on top right 'one day itinerary without a car', then select a all day tour from what I suggested. Its a start but you need more time and focus on one area.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

You only have 2 days, and your interests are all over the map. You mention wine, meeting people, opportunities for artists, natural beauty, etc... Drop all but one interest. Do some reading about Seattle and the area, even if it is only an old Fodor's or Frommer's. If you are serious about moving here, you will need to learn a lot about the region, and you will probably want to make several trips. Start reading The Seattle Times online.

If your flight is mid-day Monday, you have to be at the airport in the morning, two hours before flight time. You have Saturday and Sunday; that is all. Stay in Seattle. You don't have time to get to the San Juans.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

To do all you want to do can not be done in such a short time. I lived in Colorado before moving here. Great place to live, I loved my time there. Having lived in a place that is dry and sunny most of the time, I HIGHLY suggest you plan a return trip in the dead of winter, to see if you can adjust. I had spend a fair amount of time in Oregon before relocating here. I knew what to expect. After my third visit to Seattle and return to Colorado I decided I could not do without the green and water that was so prominent in Western Wa.. Not everyone can adjust. You either need to stay longer or return again. I agree with Kaleberg in a couple of days you are not going to learn that much about what the area has to offer. The area is huge and there are so many places to check out. I work in the Arts, and a couple of days is just not going to do it. Then on top of that you want to go hiking and meet people. You need to take more time and experience at least a week of grey damp weather. Colorado and Western Wa. are SO different.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

Port Townsend could just be your trump card. I encourage you to take a daytrip to PT. There's several state parks and tons of hiking nearby. It's about 2 hours from the Seattle ferry dock.

Sterling, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

That sounds very nice! Thank you for the helpful tips,

Sterling, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

I will definitely look into that area. Thank you for your help!

Sterling, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

Thank you for all the wonderful advice. While we won't be basing a decision to move on one short weekend, this is an opportunity to see outside our little box and see where we might want to go next. So, I think based on everyone's advice, I need to narrow my grandios plans. I think we owe it to ourselves to do Pike Market. Yes? No? Can anyone suggest some artsy parts of Seattle, near that area, that we can get to via public transportation or where we should stay the night? Then, we have to spend Sunday out in nature. So, give me your top two easy drives from Seattle with the best scenery and hikes, keeping in mind that we are not far from the Rocky Mountains, and while we are in love with the mountains and each mountainous area is unique, we would still like to see terrain that is more special to Washington. Port Townsend? Bainbridge Island? Mt. Ranier? Such tough choices. (Loved the pictures of Laconner and Port Townsend.) We could spend the night in that area and drive back Monday; we have a late afternoon flight. And, hopefully, in those two days we will run across so great Washington wines. Thanks!

Edited: 17 August 2013, 13:51
Seattle...
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

With the short amount of time you have, I would stay in the "downtown" area of the city - not on an island. If your husband is an artist, he will probably enjoy all of the public art right in the city. I would especially recommend seeing the Olympic Sculpture Park: squidoo.com/seattle-olympic-sculpture-park which blends public art and nature and is on a beautiful site overlooking Puget Sound.

It would probably be nice to rent a car for at least one day to venture out of Seattle. If you both enjoy wine, you might like to visit the Woodinville wine area: http://woodinvillewinecountry.com/ The are over 90 winery tasting rooms and some like Chateau Ste Michelle have lovely grounds along the Sammamish River Trail. On the same day, you could probably incorporate a trip to Snoqualmie Falls: http://www.squidoo.com/snoqualmie-falls which is in the same direction.

There are other possible destinations for a day trip where there are artsy communities like Bainbridge Island via the ferry in downtown Seattle, Edmonds to the north or Gig Harbor to the south. Whidbey Island would make another good day trip - although it will take a full day and a car.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 14:00
Seattle
Level Contributor
43,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desperate for travel advice for trip to Seattle. Help!?

My post about B&B's on Capitol Hill is exactly what you request. An "artsy" neighborhood only 1-2 miles from downtown (Pike Place Market is worth doing) with good bus transportation available. I think Shaffer Baille mansion is the nicest location, but there are a number of others on "the Hill"... Gaslight Inn, Beacon Mansion, etc. This would give you a very good feel for what it would be like to live in a Seattle neighborhood.

suze