We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

vancouver
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Just thinking of taking my family of four and our friends family of four kids are twins 3 years and 11 and 13 on the Ferry ride to Baimbridge Island. Wondering if there is reasonable parking prices near the Ferry port. Any tips would be appreciated. Also wondering what there is to do on the Island. Or should we be hitting another island instead? What time to leave / what time to come back for sunset etc.

Thanks

Rick

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

On BI you can walk to a couple of cafes or restaurants from the ferry dock, but the main thing is the view from the ferry. For 3-year olds I wonder if it's the optimal destination.

The ferry terminal in downtown Seattle is right in the middle of things, and while there are many parking lots and garages close to the terminal, I wouldn't characterize any of them as especially cheap; you're probably looking at $10 - $12 for enough time to get to Bainbridge and back.

For terrific views of downtown Seattle and/or the Olympic Mountains at sunset, you might consider skipping the ferry and simply driving over to West Seattle instead. The view of downtown across Elliott Bay from Harbor Avenue is superb - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_31a.JPG - and you can drive around to Alki Point for great views of passing ferries, the Olympics, etc. There's a great beach at Alki, a miniature copy of the Statue of Liberty, many cafes and places to stroll, bikes to rent, and lots to see. It might be cheaper and more fun for the kids than a there-and-back ride on the ferry.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Hi Rick,

Tell us a little more about your trip. Are you just coming for the weekend? Will you have a car or do you plan on walking on the ferry? The ferry to/from Bainbridge is lovely, great views, and my kids always enjoyed the ferry. Bainbridge Island has a smallish main street with a few restaurants, shops, etc, but truthfully, if you are traveling with young children, there is not much for them, all things considered. If I were to devote a day trip, with a ferry, and were driving my car, I much prefer Whidbey Island. The ferry to Whidbey is 45 minutes north of Seattle, and a 15 minute passage. Pluses and minuses to both. It just depends on what you want out of this trip.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

I am not sure about keeping twins that young interested in a daytrip to Whidbey. I am a long time commuter on the ferry, so I watch kids of all ages enjoying the journey all the time. There is a new Children's Museum on Bainbridge just off the ferry, which I have not visited. I think the idea of taking them on the ferry is a great idea given my observations from years of doing this commute. The bes deals for parking downtown are before 9am. There are some lots very close to the terminal. i will check for the hourly rate tonight if you would like. Doc's Marina Grill has good food and very kid friendly if you eat outside under their covered patio. I see families there all the time. It overlooks the Bainbridge Marina. There is also an ice cream shop and a fudge shop. I am not sure if the fudge shop closed or just moved. I will have to find out. There is a walk that starts just downhill from the first traffic light that is kind quiet backdoor into town. Not sure when you are visiting, but if you get a clear evening, the sunsets are going to start getting better and better as we get closer to Fall. Maybe too late for your kids, but coming back into Seattle in the evening with the City lights is quite a site. does not happen very often, but I saw a Harbor Porpoise Tuesday morning.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
709 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Parking on city streets is always free on Sundays. Can you make the trip on a Sunday?

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

It may be free on Sundays, but it is not easy to find. The trick about parking is to get into a lot or garage early enough for the Early Bird special. Around Pioneer Square that's typically about $13.00 day. Once you miss the Early Bird then you're paying by the hour, sometimes as much as $5/hr.

suze

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Here is a map of lots and prices. I wouldn't say any are "cheap." I don't think lots offer Early Bird on weekends. Some of the garages near the ferries are very expensive so be sure to look at the prices first.

http://downtownseattle.com/parking/index.html

You can google for a site that give you sunset times.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

It is free but in many places it is only free for two hours. I got a $40 ticket the last time I went to Bainbridge, because I had stayed in a free spot for three hours.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Updating the post... I agree street parking doesn't work for this & you're really not likely to find it anyway. Parking in Pioneer Square is basically outrageously priced (I work there and park daily Mon-Fri) unless you can get in on an Early Bird special by getting into a lot before 9:30am during the week. Then it's approx. $14/day for 10 hours. Otherwise it's at least $5/hr. If there's a sporting event they get $40+ tax for the day!!

suze

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

This thread is from August 2013. I suspect the OP has found parking by now.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable weekend day parking in Seattle near Ferry (Bambr)

Unless you go on Sunday (then it is free street parking almost everywhere), then just drive. The amount that you spend on parking will be pretty similar to the amount that you spend extra to take the car with you. In addition, having the car gives the option of going out to the Blodel reserve or even Poulsbo, if that strikes your fancy.

>>Arrg.. got me!

Edited: 05 May 2014, 04:24