We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a new idea - HELP!

PA
Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need a new idea - HELP!

So we are coming in for a wedding next weekend and planned on spending the day in Seattle next Thursday...the plan was to walk around a little and do the science museum since my kids love science! I just went on the website and now see they will be closed for 2 weeks - agh! I need a new fun idea...it is dh, me, dd (5) and ds (8)... I am not planning on going up in the space needle due to cost...so that idea is out...but I need a fun afternoon activity that the whole family will enjoy. Thanks in advance!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

How about the aquarium or the zoo? Both are great!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

I'm going to repeat what was said on an earlier post, and suggest that you go to "Things to Do" in top banner. I know it is a long list with so much to see here, but given your knowledge of the kids' ages and interests, it would help if you proposed some ideas to us that meet your family's needs.

I agree about the aquarium and zoo, also Pike Place Market (but the kids will tire at some point), Seattle Center still has things to see...

A TA thankfully provided this website some time ago, things to do and a calendar: http://redtri.com/seattle-kids/

Edited: 07 September 2013, 15:57
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

It is south of downtown but the Museum of Flight is incredible. Lots of science and engineering on display with very significant aviation and aerospace exhibitions. In the air park is the 1959 Boeing 707-120, SAM 970 Air Force One. It is the first presidential jet and purpose built for the Presidency with a conference room and command/control center. It carried Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon. The have a Concorde, the full size Space Shuttle trainer, a trainer module for the International Space Station and a lot more. I particularly liked the original Boeing Red Barn and exhibition on the beginnings of aviation and there is very interesting control tower experience exhibit overlooking Boeing Field with explanations of air traffic control and exhibits on weather. We recently spent three hours there without even really scratching the surface.

http://www.museumofflight.org/visit

You can get to the museum using public transit.

http://www.museumofflight.org/directions

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

If the weather is nice (and I think it will be), the Center for Wooden on South Lake Union is pretty great. And free. It's a living history musuem. http://cwb.org

Right next door is the Museum of History and Industry. Kids are free.

http://www.mohai.org

As above, the aquarium, zoo, Museum of Flight are all great for families.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,008 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

Woodland park zoo is an excellent zoo. We went his summer, and two weeks later we went to the San Deigo Safari Park and in all seriousness, the Woodland Park Zoo can compete. It's a bit out of town, which may not work, but we do the drive down from Vancouver to go to that zoo.

PA
Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

Thanks for the replies... I have checked out the list and there is a lot to do, so with only one day in Seattle I was looking for possibly the best way to spend our time... I don't think we will do the zoo or aquarium because we have a nice one close to where we live...

Does anyone recommend the boat tour of the locks? It is 2 1/2 hours - is it worth it?

Or how about the EMP museum?

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
707 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

The EMP is mostly memorabelia and the ability to record your own music. If those interest you, go for it (I personally, am not a fan).

A boat tour through the locks could be fun, but you dont' get to see them in the same way as you do actually walking around them. So if you want to explore the locks, go on foot. If you want a boat tour, take one through the locks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

You could take a ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island and back. That'd be a lot cheaper than a long tour, but would still get you out on the water. And the ferry is big fun to run around on (for the kids).

suze

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

It really comes down to what your kids, family would most enjoy. You know your children, their interests, and attention span best. Some kids very much like the EMP, others not so much. They have a good kids area, but much of the EMP/SciFi will be beyond your 5 year old.

The weather is going to be great on Thursday - nice and warm, so you may keep that in mind.

I love being on the water, and think it's a great way to see and experience Seattle. Do note that again, depending on your kids, 2 1/2 hours on a boat can be a long time for a young child. Also note that part of the Argosy locks tour is on a bus.

With kids, if I was going on a boat tour, I prefer the Ducks. It's wacky and most kids love seeing a vehicle that goes on both land and water. It's about an hour long.

If you want a nice afternoon, and want to see Seattle, but would like to keep it "budget friendly", I would:

1. Start in the Pike Place Market, grab a bite and/or some snacks for later

2. take the Pike Place Hillclimb down to the waterfront.

3. Check out Ye Olde Curiosity Shop

4. Walk along the waterfront to the Bainbridge Ferry. Adults and your 8 year old pay just one way. The 5 year old is free!

4. Eat snacks from the Market on the ferry while taking in the view. It's a 35 minute ride.

5. Walk to downtown BI OR just turn-around and head back to Seattle

6. If you still have time and/or money. Ride the Great Wheel. (cheaper than the Space Needle @ $13 for adults, $8.50 for kids)

Whew!

Another option:

1. Take to the passenger ferry from the waterfront to Alki Beach. Adults $4, kids $4, (unless you have an ORCA card) 5 year old free.

kingcounty.gov/transportation/…WaterTaxi.aspx

2. Rental fun family bikes at Wheel Fun www.wheelfunrentals.com/Locations/Seattle

or ride the free Alki shuttle. Explore the Beach & tide pools.

www.wheelfunrentals.com/Locations/Seattle

Enjoy your trip!

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a new idea - HELP!

Kids are 5 and 8?...i would take them to the seattle center, even if you dont go up the space needle the fountain is the perfect thing for kids that age and it's free.