We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking at Bainbridge

3 posts
Save Topic
Kayaking at Bainbridge

Hi, we're planning a trip for mid October and are hoping to do some kayaking. I was wondering if anyone has experienced kayaking at Bainbridge island. We'll be taking the ferry there from Seattle on a Saturday. Is the kayaking around the island or in inlets? What should we expect as far as scenery, wildlife, etc? Should we do this or stick to Lake Union as some have suggested?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

I suggest that you go to Google Earth to see what Bainbridge Island actually looks like.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

I'd stick to Lake Union.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

Thanks! We'll be staying downtown without a car. Can we get to the lake by bus or something, or would a taxi be easiest?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

I have kayaked around Bainbridge many times. If you want to kayak in saltwater, then Bainbridge is quite nice. Since you are renting a kayak you will be starting out in Eagle Harbor. There are better places to see wildlife, but on ocassion I do see eagles, herons, otters and less frequently harbor seals. I have my own kayak, so I have never rented from the kayak shop. They can give you some ideas. I do not know how far you hope to paddle and for how long, but if you are not experienced I would not venture too far from shore. Our water is very cold if you flip. Totally different experience then in Seattle. Although paddling around Seattle's houseboats and the arboretum is fun.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

Thanks so much for your replies! We've only been kayaking a couple of times, and will probably only go for a couple hours so I think we'll stick to Union. We'll probably still take the ferry to Bainbridge just for the fun of it though 😃

6. Re: Kayaking at Bainbridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21