We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

My husband and I will have 2 days free during his biz trip to Seattle this week. I would like to spend one day visiting a Natl Park, but with the shutdown showing no signs of ending by this Fri, I'm trying to figure out alternate plans. I see that some "thru" roads are open for Mt Rainier and Cascades...my question is: can we still see a decent amount of scenery on these roads? I'm really interested in fall foliage and mountain views (would love to hike, but I guess that's out!). If we can see plenty of scenery, which is best Mt Rainier or N Cascades? Thank you for any suggestions/info!

nwlou
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

From Seattle you can take I 90 east to the Snoqualmie Pass area. It is an easy drive about 40 mins from downtown and it is beautiful. There are lots of hikes in the area that will still be open. Try Snow Lake at Alpental for a beautiful fall hike.

nwlou
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

From Seattle you can take I 90 east to the Snoqualmie Pass area. It is an easy drive about 40 mins from downtown and it is beautiful. There are lots of hikes in the area that will still be open. Try Snow Lake at Alpental for a beautiful fall hike.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

North Cascades Hwy (Hwy 20) is open--that is the main thru route in the North Cascades. And it is highly, highly scenic. If you don't mind a fair amount of driving, you can do the whole "Cascade Loop" as an overnight. That's Hwy 20 and Hwy 2 (Stevens Pass hwy). Neither highway actually enters a national park.

At Rainier, you can take Hwy 410 down through the east side of the park. It's mostly forested but there are a few pullouts with great views. You can head to Chinook Pass and walk on the Pacific Crest Trail south a bit and see views of Rainier--the trail is outside the park. Highway 123 is also open, which leads out of the park to the south. However, Hwy 706, which is the most popular way to access the park and leads to the Paradise area, is NOT open.

Another idea is do do an overnight in Leavenworth. You'd have the very pretty drive over the Stevens Pass Hwy (2) to Leavenworth, and the town is well set up for tourists (it's in the mountains but not near a national park). You could make a loop here by coming back over Hwy 97 then I-90 (the interstate, so not as scenic as other mountain roads, but sometimes it's nice to make a loop).

Fall colors are very late this year. They probably won't be in full force by next week.

4. Re: Open Roads at Mt Rainier or Cascades during govt shutdown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:17