We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Microsoft

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Microsoft

My techie preteen is interested in seeing the Microsoft Campus (Building 92).

It's a short trip for us, arrive on Friday, leave on Sunday.

What are our options as far as transporation? Any other must see things for a techie kid?

Thanks in advance for your help!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,659 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

its out in Redmond and not sure what you'd see when you get there. It would be a pricey cab ride and city bus will get you reasonably close. First check to see whats open there on the wknd. There is a 'musueum' though I've never been. Its sort of a long ways to go to see an office complex. I know they have a good software store and other consumer things.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

Are you staying in or near downtown Seattle? If so, other nearby options include the Living Computer Museum tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60878-d36… and Experience Music Project (EMP). tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60878-d1468… Both are easily accessible by taxi or public transit (bus, Monorail to Seattle Center).

Sacramento
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

I'm not thrilled about going out to Redmond, especially when we have such little time in Seattle, but it's at the top of his list. Thanks for the info. :-)

Sacramento
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

Thanks David - we had not secured a hotel yet. Thinking of Capitol Hill...checking all my options tonite.

Want to be close to great restaurants and in a lively neighborhood, not necessarily downtown.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

Just a thought...but if you stayed near UW, you should be able to catch a bus to the Microsoft campus. Plus it's an interesting area and another short bus ride to downtown. (come back in a few years to catch the lightrail to downtown).

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

Come back in another lifetime to take light rail between UW and Microsoft -- the new 520 bridge is not being built with the capacity to hold light rail. :(

If you do go, you would want to get there on Friday by 3:30 or 4. That way you can go to the small but interactive museum and to the company store. You can't buy software but you have some nice merch for various video games, Seattle Sounders etc.

The campus is huge and kind of a drive by. It would make the most sense to rent a car for the day. The building on 148th just north of 50th has beautiful grounds with a waterfall.

The company has employees from all over the world. To get a taste of this diversity, have dinner at the Crossroads Mall on 156th. It is a huge food court with foods from all over the world. There is live music on weekend nights, a hotly contested giant chess game and chess community, people playing Magic the gathering, a game store where I'm sure people will have a game night going on, and an excellent bookstore.

While this isn't typical tourist fare, it is a lot of fun and could be interesting for a techie who might like to work in the area.

There are buses that go up 148th. You probably need to go to the Bellevue transit center and transfer. There is probably a bus from near the store to Crossroads at 156th and 8th. Easy to get from Crossroads back to the transit center.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 15:12
7. Re: Seattle to Microsoft

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18