We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to car rental off airport

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
getting to car rental off airport

Hi,

We are renting a car for two weeks flying in/out of Seattle. I know it is much cheaper to rent a car off-airport, but I'm having trouble figuring out which car rental locations are easy to reach via the light rail. We'll be headed north into BC on the day we arrive so I'm thinking that the light rail toward downtown will be our best bet for renting the car, but if there is a better option please let me know that too.

Can someone help me figure out which car rental locations are near a light rail stop (or other public transportation)?

THANKS much!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,894 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to car rental off airport

Hi I think I can offer some info for you. Advice will vary on how many people your traveling with and how much luggage? When is your trip? At times Hotwire and similar pricing at the airport vs seattle is pretty similar but for 2 wks its likely that you save a bit off site, sometimes a lot. There is a Hertz across from Seatac at the Marriott. While they still have a 'concession' tax you save the daily rental car facility charge. There is another Hertz at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle. Its kind of a general question as all major rental firms are in downtown, and many allow cars to be returned to Seatac free. If you speaking of five people with luggage my advise would vary.

Enterprise charges a drop fee to return to Seatac

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to car rental off airport

Hi! There are 3 of us and we'll each have an overhead bin sized roller bag.

I will add Hotwire into my checking. Right now they are more expensive, but that could change over the months. Is the downtown Hertz location easy to get to from a light rail stop?

It doesn't matter to me which rental company we use. Ease of getting to it is more important. We'll likely choose a small SUV for the trip.

Thanks for any and all help!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,894 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to car rental off airport

Hertz would be really easy. Almost all the car rentals are close to each other. you can also take the shuttle to most downtown hotels which may be easier with luggage. Not sure when your coming but check the rates as they change a bit. The shuttle is operated by

shuttleexpress.com

they charge about $18 with a discount for each additional person. Light rail also works but a bit of a walk to seatac station, but very doable with roll ons.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to car rental off airport

Thanks--I think I figured out the light rail map relative to where the car rentals are. We're good with walking so we'll do the train up to the Hertz. For some reason they are significantly cheaper than any of the other downtown rental companies.

I'll keep re-checking rates and hope it falls even lower by the time summer rolls around!

5. Re: getting to car rental off airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:17