We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
5 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

The Seattle area was one of my favorite places to visit until recently. In August 2013, I was invited to dinner at at friend’s house in Kirkland. My navigation software suggested I take the 520 floating bridge, which I did. There were warnings on the bridge stating that it required a toll, which I was prepared to pay. I’ve only taken bridges that had a toll booth on them, so it was reasonable for me to expect at least one booth available for tourists to pay.

However, there was no toll booth nor was there any instructions for how out-of-state people could pay the toll. I saw a camera pointed at my license and assumed that Washington state would send me a bill.

After arriving home in California I never received a bill for from the State of Washington.Then, in mid-November, I received a Notice of Civil Penalty Summary from Washington State that I owed the toll crossing plus a penalty to for not paying—a total of $91.65. This is the first correspondence I received from Washington State regarding the toll. Had I received a bill earlier, I would have gladly paid it.

How is an out-of-state-person supposed to pay for the bridge crossing? Is Washington State trying to raise revenue by waiting months to send a bill and then charging a penalty saying I'm late.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

You can set up a 'Good to Go!' account with WSDOT ahead of time. www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/visitors#Rental

There's also a 'top question' on the WA state page which discusses this issue. tripadvisor.com/…46334352

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

You should have received a bill for around $6, before yoi received what you did. I cross that bridge a fair amount, but do not have a pass on my vehicle, so they always send a bill. The amount does differ due to the toll being different for different times of day (rush hour, etc). If I were you, I would contact Good To Go and explain that this was your first bill and try to get it sorted out.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

now that the golden gate bridge has gone the same route most people are getting more familiar with the process. Thats why we added a top question re: how to pay a bridge toll. Its really bad with tourists and rental cars as the rental firms add a penalty as well. I'm surprised your friends in Kirkland did not mention the toll process to you.

I do believe the penalty is way too punitive and hoping you can appeal the 'fine'.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 16:21
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,151 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

Mtngrl ~ setting up a Good-To-Go account linked to your license plate is an easy & cheap way to cross the bridge. We have five cars in our family and all are linked to one account. I think it's a 25 cent fee in addition to the toll.

DigitalRabbit ~ sorry this was your first experience with a cashless toll. There was extensive coverage of the new system on the Golden Gate Bridge which you might have read in the Chronicle.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

PacificNWFamily--I know, we just haven't done it yet. We need to as DH lives there during the week, and so I am up there often and we rotate cars. Thanks for the reminder though. It's one of those things that has just gotten away from me. We are closely watching the I-90 situation as DD uses that for her commute to avoid the 520 toll.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

I have heard that tolling I-90 and the HOV lanes on 405 are on their way and inevitable. Seems fair not just to tax people who live in the north end (and at the same time, design the bridge Without a light rail connection...)

OP, definitely write and request to pay just the original toll. They have been getting a lot of bad press on this. Don't just call, because a clerk can't do anything.

mtngirl, here you go:

https:/…showAccountTypeAction.do

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

Thanks ainwa, it is on my to do list for today:) Sometimes we just need the kick in the rear to get going, lol!

DD is also checking out the bus system, but it isn't looking good. It would mean a 2 hour commute each way vs her usual 35 minutes driving.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

This has become common all over the country, not just the Golden Gate Bridge and 520--I've run into this in numerous places, from the Denver area to New York. I've learned to ask rental car agencies if I might run into any booth-less toll routes--the agents never seem to volunteer the info, and it's up to you to make sure you're set with a toll pass, or know which routes to avoid.

Actually this is big internationally, too, where you need to make sure when you enter a new country that you immediately buy a toll sticker good on that country's highways.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
5 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

My trip across the bridge was spur-of-the moment, in that I hadn't planned to go to the Bellevue area ahead of time. I got directions, and then found myself on the bridge. It's a very unfriendly system to tourists.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers Who Cross the 520 Floating Bridge Are Fined

We crossed in a rental car a few weeks ago and also saw no place to pay, but may have exited before the payment camera location. Perhaps we'll get a notice from Avis (didn't recll seeing a toll payment transponder on the car).