We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

We are a family group of 14 flying into Seattle for a couple of days before a NB cruise departing from Vancouver in June 2014. We plan to take Amtrak the night before cruise departure to overnight in Vancouver. Of course we'd like to sit together on the train. We have no experience traveling on Amtrak. Should we purchase Business class fares in order to ensure we will have reserved seats together? What would you recommend for a group this size traveling on Amtrak Cascades? Thank you.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

I take groups on Amtrak all the time. Make a 'group' reservation, not individual 14 pax tickets. They assign seats. Business class won't offer you anything special for what your seeking. If you call them they can direct you to the right dept. They normally don't assign seats till the station but for 14 they can work with you

They should also offer you a special rate.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 19:11
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

I haven't booked group travel through the Amtrak web site or call center, so I can't comment on that.

Seats are usually assigned at check-in with the Conductor at the podium in the station on the day of travel. Arrive a bit early and they should have no trouble putting your group in the same car. The advantages of business class include more room in the seating areas (1X2 seats instead of 2X2), less foot traffic thru your car, close proximity to the Bistro car & a $$ off voucher towards food/drink.

You'll find the Amtrak Cascades Rider's Guide here: http://amtrakcascades.com/RidersGuide.htm

A group of 20+ people would qualify for discounted tickets: http://goo.gl/Xf63By

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

What is the best way to get to the Seattle Amtrac station from the airport? The plan is to go to Vancouver BC. Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

Hi, I see your new but its better to always start your own thread. The OP will get e mails telling him there is new responses and since your question is different it gets confusing. there is a top question on top right that explains. Its quite easy as the light rail stop one block from Amtrak. Here goes

tripadvisor.com/…30749120

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

OP: Business class seats are a bit bigger, are just two-by-two, and the car will likely have fewer people (and you get snacks & soft drinks, etc.). Odds of being together are probably better than in coach, but, as noted, there's still no guarantee. Not a big deal, IMHO, since you should be able to be near each other in any event.

davidomg: Tukwila/Renton is actually the closest Amtrak station to SeaTac and could be a cheaper taxi ride than to downtown Seattle, but you can get to the latter by shuttle or light rail.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 14:16
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

Sutter, have you ever seen the Amtrak "station" at Tukwila? Although Amtrak plans to improve it, right now it is an open platform. I live a lot closer to Tukwila than to the downtown station, but I will go into town whenever I need to use Amtrak.

Glendale...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

Hi, we will be visiting Seattle this month on our way to Richmond BC,We will be staying at Marriott Courtyard in Tukwila, at the valley highway , is there a train from tukwila going to downtown Seattle? thanks !

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

there is a commuter train from Tukwila

http://www.soundtransit.org/

There are now 3 different topics in this post so in the future please start your own thread. If the commuter train doesn't work then the hotel normally offers a shuttle to the light rail station inTukwila.

Glendale...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

Thanks for your help.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

I would recommend the bus over the train...the trains just don't come by that often. I think that the #150 bus is the one you want, but check with the concierge at the motel to be sure.