We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Does anyone know what week in October the leaves start to change color? Is it the first or second week? I know it is different every year but a rough estimate would be helpful. Thank you!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

It really depends on how cold the nights get, and when. You have a rough estimate already. Thing about Fall color, is that it lasts for 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer. Also, different trees will change at different times. Since you are asking about something almost a year from now, really no rush. Check back later. Take care and Merry Christmas. Chuck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Thanks Chuck! Yeah I definitely have a lot of time. I'm planning a wedding in Seattle in the Fall and so I'm trying to decide on my October dates depending on the color change. I know it's something that's hard to predict but hopefully we will get to see some fall colored leaves the day we end up choosing!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

This year many trees started showing color in September; in other years the leaves are still on the trees at Thanksgiving. It varies so much by year, species, microclimate and elevation.

I would think the second or third week in October would be pretty safe for good color, barring a Columbus Day storm or some other wind event.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Sounds like a beautiful time for your wedding. Really too bad that you just can't predict the leaves, but, as they say, "they have a mind of their own".

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Do you want the beginning of the change or peak color? I think for peak color I would err on the side of going later rather than earlier. However if your window is the first and second weeks of October I would go with the second week for fall color. Keep in mind though that October can be rainy and although there is little certainty about it the historical incidence of rain in October is higher in late October.

This article said that peak color for Washington was expected this year October 12-28

lovethesepics.com/2013/…

This one says "Fall color in the Pacific Northwest runs throughout October and into November with the peak week usually being the third week of October."

seattleschild.com/article/great-spots-for-fa…

This one says "later October" for color in the city.

…blogspot.com/2013/09/fall-colors-in-pacific…

Just an overview I came across on seeing fall color in Seattle.

redtri.com/seattle/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

Wow the photos from the first link klsalas are gorgeous! Thanks so much everyone for your responses!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

>> Wow the photos from the first link klsalas are gorgeous! Thanks so much everyone for your responses! <<

They are, but they left out Alaska, e.g. http://gardyloo.us/sept08%20059as.JPG or http://gardyloo.us/akmirrorlake800.jpg (same lake, different years.)

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

I agree with those who say plan late, you will have a greater variety. Lots of the color here is landscaped color rather than mountainsides, and is therefore, planned for maximum effect. just don't go into november, the first big windstorm ends the show in a day.

9. Re: When Do Leaves Change Colors in Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17