We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

Hello everyone,

My wife and I decided to take an weekend trip to Seattle had a few questions to help us plan an itinerary. We like to travel slowly and enjoy the local vibe. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

- Is Seattle a pedestrian city or will we need to rent a car to get around?

- Any recommendations for good sushi or fish/seafood eateries?

- Any must not miss restaurants?

- Where should we stay in the city if we do not want to rent a car?

- Any recommended local artist studios?

- Any recommendation for lovers of craft beer?

Thanks again for any recommendations!

-Jeff

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

Answers to your questions are already here on the forum. I have given you some links. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k706514…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k706035…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

Hi Chuck,

I have read through several of the threads through the forums, however they did not contain the recommendation I was seeking. Are there any places in Seattle you would recommend? We will probably stay downtown.

-Jeff

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

I don't understand. When I look at the right hand margin, I see the answers to many of your questions, among them where to stay, car free itineraries, and public transportation information. If you are interested in information about food and drink, including craft beers, look at Klsalas's posts.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

The Grand Hyatt is an amazing hotel has great service and the amenities are very good (plus the room service isn't too expensive and is super tasty!), I wouldn't rent a car as walking is much easier, buses are plentiful and parking is expensive. Across the street from the hotel is a brewery, though I haven't tried it so i can't say if it's great. About 6-7 blocks up Pike is Pike Place Market, which is amazing to see local art and crafts. The Bacco Cafe has AMAZING breakfast, though you might wait a bit to be seated/served as it's rather small.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

Hi kaleberg,

I will look through klsalas's posts and I do realize that some of my questions are answered on the right hand side. I guess I was looking for personal recommendations from locals around Greater Seattle. What is one place that makes Seattle special for you? Any place you would recommend? I will of course continue to read through other threads. Thank you for pointing out klsalas posts.

-Jeff

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

The favored tourist sites are favored because, well, they really are special, so don't be afraid to hit the tourist circuit: Pike Place Market (go as early in the morning as you can to avoid the crowds), the Space Needle. the Ballard Locks (out of the way but the locks and the underwater viewing windows that show the fish migrating are an only-in-Seattle experience), Volunteer Park, the Myrtle Edwards Sculpture Park, etc... Also try to get out and walk in some of the neighborhoods like Fremont, Ballard, and Capital Hill.

I know you are interested in sushi. Nishino is wonderful; it was voted the best restaurant in town. Others will chime in with their sushi favorites. The Whale Wins has been getting terrific press. Their sister restaurant, Walrus and the Carpenter, although crowded and sometimes noisy, has incredible platters of the finest, most pristine oysters you can eat. Artusi has wonderfully earthy Italian small plates and terrific cocktails. Their sister restaurant, Spinasse is beautiful and romantic with equally luscious food. Matt's in the Market has excellent food. I think that their lunches are even better than their dinner, however. They have a great bartender on duty during the day, and they have excellent wine by the glass selections. Their sister restaurant, Radiator Whiskey, has gotten a lot of interest for their unusual, meat-centric menu. I had the famous pig's head, and, although it was tasty, it would have been better if they had used a heritage breed with darker, more flavorful meat. As it was, I found the pig's cheeks (my favorite cut of pork) to be a bit bland. The Bourbon list is terrific. Any Tom Douglas restaurant will be very good to excellent, and the man is one of the icons of Seattle cooking. His places include Etta's, Dahlia Lounge, Lola (incredible breakfasts), and Palace Kitchen. He also has a well loved pizza place called Serious Pie, but I will say it now: Seattle people do not understand pizza,either thin crust or thick, and Serious Pie is not great, although it is great for Seattle. Yes, I now expect an eruption of lava to rain down upon me.

Stay downtown. You have many choices ranging from convention type behemoths like the Sheraton, a perfectly good behemoth, by the way; to boutiques like the Andra and the Mayflower. If money is no object consider the Four Seasons or the Inn at the Market. The Fairmont Olympic is an old style grand hotel

with gorgeous public rooms, but neither their bedrooms nor their bathrooms equal those of the Four Seasons. It still is an excellent choice.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

I would recommend checking out Arts Guide NW : http://www.artguidenw.com/artevents.htm

Depending on your actual three day weekend, know that the 1st Thursday of the month, is Pioneer Square's Art Walk. Also the Seattle Art Museum and the Asian Art Museum are free the 1st Thursday.

http://www.firstthursdayseattle.com

The Frye Art Museum just east of downtown is always free.

http://fryemuseum.org

Blitz Arts Walk is on Capitol Hill, the 2nd Thursday of the month.

Just beyond downtown:

Fremont Art Walk is the 1st Friday of the Month.

Ballard Art Walk is the 2nd Saturday of the Month.

Georgetown Art Attack is 2nd Saturday of the month.

There are many, many craft beer options. Downtown, SODO, Ballard, Fremont, etc. You might want to consider a beer tour.

http://seattlebrewerytour.com

http://pugetsoundbrewerytours.com

evergreenescapes.com/seattle-brewery-tour

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

If staying in the downtown area (Pioneer Square, Waterfront, Downtown Core, Belltown, Uptown) you shouldn't need to rent a car. Parking is also pricey. Seattle's main neighborhoods are walkable and easily accessible by transit. You should only need a car if you want to venture further out, which is unlikely on a first-time three-day trip. Some common bus routes:

Capitol Hill: #49, #10

Queen Anne Hill: #1, #2

South Lake Union: South Lake Union Streetcar

U-District: #70, #71, #72

Fremont: #26, #28

Ballard: #40, D-Line (RapidRide), #61 (Ballard Locks)

Wallingford or Green Lake: #16

Phinney Ridge (Woodland Park Zoo): #5

West Seattle: C-Line (RapidRide)

Georgetown: #106, #124

Columbia City: Central Link Light Rail

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

9. Re: A 3 day weekend trip to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19