We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

towns in Oregon/Washington

hamilton, on
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
towns in Oregon/Washington

We will be in the Northwest for six days in early June. We hope to have two nights in Portland and two nights in Seattle, but we're looking for a nice seaside town/village to visit in between. We're thinking of Astoria or Seaside as it would be best if it is between Portland and Seattle. Does anyone have any recommendations of places and or accommodations? My husband loves to watch ships or boats of any kind......We're from Canada and have been to Victoria, BC and some of the islands in that area. Just as an added thought, if anyone can recommend mid-priced places to stay in either city that would be great.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

But it is only 4 hours from Portland to Seattle. Why stay in between?

hamilton, on
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

We really enjoy small towns and would like to be right on the water if possible. We like to poke through local museums, shops and galleries or read by the water or walk along the sea. Four days in two cities is usually enough for us.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

Check out Long Beach Washington. www.funbeach.com. Chuck.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

I love Astoria. My family and I always go there for a day trip from our holiday home in Long Beach (Wa) Great views and climb (164 steps) up the Tower. The Maritime Museum is wonderful and there is the very fine Flavel mansion, a 19th century house built by one of the Columbia River pilots. Favorite restaurant is the Bridgewater Bistro. Nearby, on both sides of the Columbia, are several parks/historic sites commemorating the Lewis/Clark expedition.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

My recommendation would be to overshoot Seattle and spend a couple of nights in Mukilteo, a small town around 20 miles north of Seattle. Stay at the Silver Cloud - a fine local hotel chain - which is built over the water a few steps from the Whidbey Island ferry terminal. Mukilteo is a cute little town, or you can cross over to Whidbey for more marvelous little towns (Langley and Coupeville especially) - beach walks, local shellfish, farmers markets, etc. Travel on SR 526 from I-5 to Mukilteo and you'll go past the Boeing widebody plant, biggest building in the world.

http://www.silvercloud.com/mukilteo/

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g58625-Mukilteo_Wash…

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,229 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

instead of Mukilteo you may like to take the ferry to Whidbey and stay in Langley or Coupeville and come home viia Deceiption Pass and or stop in La Conner. That would make a good 'midway' stop as well

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

Well, we also liked Mukilteo and Whidbey but they are not between Seattle and Portland and the OP is from Ontario. Think Astoria is a great idea at the mouth of impressive Columbia River. From Portland you can visit Columbia River Gorge to the east.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

Sure Astoria's a cute town. Or from Seattle you could go out to Whidbey Island, or east out towards Snoqualmie Falls, etc.

<But it is only 4 hours from Portland to Seattle>

Actually it's only 3 hours.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 18:30
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

Not for me, it wasn't. I got stuck on a Monday boxed in by a fleet of slow moving trucks. It took me four grueling hours to travel between Seattle and Portland. It was a three hour snap on a Sunday, however.

Canuckrunamok, Astoria is great, but, as you know, it is on the Columbia River, not the ocean proper. The location on the Columbia is very dramatic, and there are interesting historical parks in the area. The Coast Guard museum is awe inspiring. There are lots of places to stay at different price points, but you won't be able to walk along the sea.

Whidbey Island has places to walk along the sea, and it has pretty little towns, but its location is not what you have requested. Also, depending on where you stay, the nighttime noise from the naval jets can be a nightmare.

Longbeach has many lodgings, lots of seaside ambiance and a very impressive beach. In fact, make sure you remember where you enter the beach because it is easy to get lost on your way back. The beach is so huge that you could wind up bushwhacking amongst the scrub to get back to your starting point. There are good restaurants in Longbeach, too. I don't think you will be able to watch any boats there, however.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,113 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: towns in Oregon/Washington

Suze is spot on for the usual travel time between Seattle and Portland. Even this morning it only took me 3 1/2 hours, but that was from NE of Seattle to SW of Portland, and during the thick of rush hour. Anyway, we make this drive every single week and have for years, so are very used to travel times/routes between the two areas, lol.

If this were my trip, I would opt for either the northern OR coast (Cannon Beach, Seaside or Astoria) or Whidbey Island. Yes, Whidbey is north of Seattle, but it not far and very easy to get to and it really gives you the feel that you are a world away.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your time here. It's all good:)