We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries

St. John
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries

We are going to visit in late September. Could anyone recommend some good wineries within a short drive from Seattle? (Woodinville). We like to collect wine that you can't buy in the store. We really like heavy reds (cab, syrah, merlot) and chardonnays. Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries

Januik and Delille are good choices in Woodinville. You can also find some of Chateau Ste. Michelle's upper-end bottles that might not be readily found in most stores.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries

Check out http://woodinvillewinecountry.com/

Some of the listings will be true wineries with a tasting room attached. Others will be tasting rooms only (many of these are tasting rooms for Eastern Washington wineries looking for a little more exposure (and sales) in the Seattle market.

Other than a few decorative rows of vines here and there you won't find grapes growing in Woodinville. The real production vineyards are all in Eastern WA. In Western Washington most wineries source their grapes from the other side of the Cascades where the warmer and more sunny and arid conditions are ideal for growing world class grapes. Some wineries do have their own vineyards. Other contract with growers on a long term or year to year basis.

There are very few Woodinville wines that you will find other places in the country. A lot are small production without national distribution.

The number of wineries is growing so quickly that I have to say I have not been to, or sampled a large number of the wines coming out of Woodinville nowawdays. However I have some favorites including Betz; Baer; Brian Carter; Covington; Cuillin; Delille; Des Voigne; Gorman; Januik (Mike Januik); J. Bookwalter; Mark Ryan; Ross Andrew (previously worked with Bob Betz); & Stevens.

Bob Betz, Brian Carter and Mike Januik are some of Washington's most acclaimed winemakers. Mark Ryan McNeilly and Chris Gorman are also both top WA cult wine makers. Tim Stevens puts out beautiful wine and honestly you rarely see on the shelves anywhere as he sells out mostly to his mailing list. He also has great label art which he does himself. I was a huge fan of Lance Baer who went out on his own after working at DeLille. He died of a chronic medical condition a few years ago and I have been nursing my stash of the last vintages he made. I have not bought from them since he died but they are continuing to get acclaim. Ross Andrew makes really nice wine. He was an assistant wine maker to Bob Behr.

I also have to give a shout out to Pondera. They put out some really nice wines. They used to be in Kirkland but are now up in the warehouse district with most of the wineries above. They also sold me some of their allocation of Stillwater Creek Malbec for my hobby barrel -- which is turning out beautifully so far. ;-)

Here are a few others that I am not real familiar with but have read are putting out highly rated wines:

*Avennia (Chris Peterson, previously of DeLille) is supposed to be one of the next cult WA wines

seattlemag.com/article/woodinvilles-avennia-…

seattlemet.com/bars-and-nightlife/sauced/art…

*Effeste

*Sparkman

*Adams Bench

*Guardian

seattlemet.com/bars-and-nightlife/seattle-me…

seattlemet.com/bars-and-nightlife/best-washi…

seattlemag.com/article/seattle-magazines-eig…

http://www.seattlewineawards.com/winners.html

seattletimes.com/html/pacificnw/2022245011_1…

greatnorthwestwine.com/2013/…

winepressnw.com/2013/03/06/2315321/tasting-r…

Keep in mind that you are often going to have to research these wine picks. They do not typically identify where the winery is located in the blurbs.

Hope that helps

K

PS Here is a TripList I did a couple years ago on Seattle wineries. We have a few really good wineries right here in the city.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27022-Visting_…

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:24
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries

One proviso. In late September crush will be underway. You will undoubtedly see activity at the wineries and you may be able to take a tour and watch some of the crush. Some wineries also solicit volunteers to help with crush -- working the sorting table or conveyor belt into the crusher picking out MOG (material other than grapes), cleaning, bagging up waste stems and jacks (stem fragments).

On the other hand sometimes during crush the winemaker won't have as much time to be in the tasting room or the tasting room at a winery might have limited hours (depending on what kind of staff they have). You generally don't need appointments to visit Woodinville and Seattle wineries but if you are concerned follow the winery's blog or FB page and call or text before you come to make sure your planned dates are ok.

-K

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries

I tried Avennia with high hopes, but both I, and the extremely knowledgeable friends who accompanied me (and who had advance purchased several bottles) were disappointed. It was good wine, but it was nothing special.

But really, Anchorage, you can't go wrong. Just show up and taste. Spit if you have to, but taste as much as you can. Everyone knows and loves Delille and Janiuk. They are two of the bigger outfits that have already arrived. They have pretty wineries, too, especially Janiuk. Go to the little warehouse places set in the industrial area. You will find many rare gems. As Klsalas hints, try some of the less common varietals. WA is really getting into Malbecs. They taste like roast beef turned into wine, and many are delicious. Try the cab francs. Some taste gamey, but others are full of blackberry and chocolate. Have fun.

St. John
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries

Thank you, fellow wine lovers!! We are going to use your expertise to do some research...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries

PS If you are interested in Walla Walla wines but are just sticking close to Seattle a few Walla Walla wineries have tasting rooms in Woodinviille. Off the top of my head there are Pepper Bridge, Forgeron, Cougar Crest and Isenhower. I have had all of those wines in my cellar from time to time. They are all solid. Dusted Valley was a Wine and Spirits Mag 2013 Winery of the Year. And the international/Washington winemaker collaboration project Long Shadows also has a tasting room in Woodinville. I have had a number of those and they are excellent.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
539 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries

JM Cellars is another favorite, go up the hill from Ste. Michelle and look for the small driveway on the left side of the road going up to their lovely tasting room.

Seattle
Level Contributor
748 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries

I like Barons. Matt Loso is making some great wines there. I also like Delille, JM Cellars, Januik, Bookwalter, Baer, Stevens...

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries

directory of wineries.....

http://www.gotastewine.com/wa-ava-map.htm

10. Re: Wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:19