We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle/Canada Newbies

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle/Canada Newbies

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Vancouver/Seattle area in mid-April. We are pretty flexible with our schedule. I have some questions that would help with our planning.

1. I definitely want to go to the Skagit Valley tulip fest. How long is the drive between Seattle and Mount Vernon? Any tips on avoiding the crowds? Also, on the way back to Seattle, I'm thinking of driving on Hwy 20 and taking the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry. Is the scenery worth the long way back?

2. Any recommendations on places to park in downtown Seattle near Pike's Fish Market?

3. I was planning a day trip to Mt. Rainier, but came across Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie, and it looks pretty neat too. If you had to pick one, which would you choose? We like to do moderate hiking.

Thanks for your help!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle/Canada Newbies

Big thing here, is there is no "Vancouver/Seattle area". Vancouver is a whole city on it's own in a different country, so please make sure and post any questions about Vancouver on the Vancouver forum. Chuck.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
236 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle/Canada Newbies

Tulip suggestion -> weekday. Arrive early in the day.

Lunch spot -> La Conner. Cute street along the water. if you like quilts, they have a museum.

Whidbey island is very pastoral. No mountains. Deception pass and the bridge are worth a stop. Coupeville is cute. Is it worth the extra time and hassle to take the ferry? Are you "into" ferries? Does pastoral sound nice or boring to you? I probably wouldn't do it and instead use the time for something else. Others I'm sure will differ.

If you're interested in visiting the olympic peninsula as part of your trip, you could take the "Coupeville - Port Townsend" ferry. Spend a few days around here and then take the "bainbridge - seattle" ferry back into downtown Seattle.

I've only lived up here for 2 years. Others can give a better idea but mid-April should mean lots of snow at Mt. Rainier which could impede access and hikes.

3. Re: Seattle/Canada Newbies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:20