We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Seattle area

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
7 days in Seattle area

Hi

My husband and I are going to be in the Seattle area for 7days in mid-April.

We'd like to spend a couple of days in Seattle, and a 2 days drive to Olympic national park but would like some suggestions about what to do in those places?

We'd like to rent a bike in Seattle, any recommends ?

Thanks

Didi

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

I would start with the general tabs in what to do in Seattle.

If you're looking for a leisurely bike rental - alki or green lake.

Poulsbo...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

The Olympic National Park is large. If you only have two days I'd recommend picking a specific part of the park you're interested in visiting and concentrating on it.

One thing to be aware of about traveling on the Olympic Peninsula. Some of the towns don't have enough tourist business in the winter so restaurants aren't always open on Mondays & Tuesdays. Check with your hotel about any regular closures. I frequently purchase food at the grocery stores when I'm traveling in the area just in case everything is closed.

One of the most popular destinations in the Olympic National Park is Hurricane Ridge. You may have trouble visiting in April because it's not always open if the weather is bad. You can research more about it here: nps.gov/olym/…visiting-hurricane-ridge.htm. If you visit Hurricane Ridge I would choose a hotel/ B&B in either Port Angeles or Sequim. I'm more fond of Sequim and I think they have a decent choice of restaurants in town.

I'm a hugh fan of the Hoh Rain Forest. It's beautiful and has several trails to visit. Because it's at a lower elevation it's unusual for it to be closed even if the weather isn't great. My last trip was in March of 2013 and it was fantastic. The closest town to stay in is Forks and to spend a full day with the Rain Forest that is where I'd recommend making reservations. nps.gov/olym/…visiting-the-hoh.htm. If you visit the rain forest you're able to access the coast of Washington and spots like Ruby Beach, La Push, and other beautiful spots as you travel. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices for restaurants in Forks or on the coast but you should be able to find something.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

Just a minor correction to InnAccountant's post. Those restaurants that close during the week tend to be closed on Sunday and Monday rather than Monday and Tuesday. Although Sequim has the best restaurant on the peninsula, Alder wood Bistro (closed Sunday and Monday), it is not the best choice for a base from which to visit Olympic National Park because it is 30 minutes farther from it than is Port Angeles, ONP is so huge that adding an hour's round trip each day to visits to the park makes a difference. For example, it takes 40 to 45 minutes to drive to the summit of Hurricane Ridge from Port Angeles, but one hour and 15 minutes from Sequim. Similarly, the Spruce Railroad Trail on gorgeous Lake Crescent, is only 30 minutes from PA but an hour from Sequim. After a while, the extra driving can take its toll.

InnAccountant's description of the Forks food famine is correct, unfortunately. There is a good taqueria there, and there is a very rustic but honest burger joint, 3 Rivers Resort, about 10 minutes drive from Forks That is pretty much it for palatable food west of Port Angeles until you get to Lake Quinault Lodge.

For the reasons described above, a visit to ONP requires time and a bit of careful planning, especially during April. Spring in ONP offers some wonderful rewards - lowland wildflowers, no crowds, new forest growth, fresh temperatures and sun breaks - but it can also be like visiting Sleeping Beauty just as she is waking up. She may not be fully up to speed yet, and you have to be patient with her.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

If you only have two days, my recommendation is Lake Quinault. The Quinault Rainforest is every bit as beautiful as the Hoh Rainforest. The Lodge has good food and is in a lovely setting. April is too early for the mountains here. Stick to the Ocean Beaches and the forest. Google Quinault Rainforest. Lots of wonderful walks and hikes through the rainforest. Keep in mind it could be wet. I was there in April and May of last year and had wonderful weather. Quinault has the biggest trees in the Park. There are many waterfalls which are easy to get to that should be cooking in April. One of the very best places to see wildlife in Olympic early in the morning. You could spend part of a day by driving a half hour North and checking out lovely Ruby Beach and or Beach 4. If you drive by way of Olympia and Aberdeen you will not need to bother with the expense and time involved with the ferries. The drive is very boring untill you get to Quinault. Lake Quinault Resort is also nice and I really like the Elk House listed under VRBO if you want to cook and have more privacy. If you choosethe historic Lodge, I would suggest staying in the larger and more modern Lakeside rooms.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 23:22
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

Just to further complicate things, mid-April is when the annual tulip festival takes place in Skagit County, about an hour north of Seattle. It's one of the largest tulip-growing areas in the US, and the colors can be stunning. It's easy to combine a visit to the tulips with a tour of Whidbey Island and Deception Pass, both of which are very nice in April. The tulip - Deception Pass - Whidbey - Seattle "loop" can be done in a (long) day, or else as an easy overnight excursion, using any of three charming waterfront villages (La Conner, Coupeville, Langley) for the overnight. It's closer and will probably have better weather than the Olympic Peninsula, although Quinault is indeed quite wonderful in the rain and mist.

Coming to or from the Whidbey ferry (the ferry docks at Mukilteo on the mainland) you can drive by (or tour) the Boeing Everett plant, home of the 747/777/787s and the biggest building in the world.

http://gardyloo.us/tulips404%20025s.jpg

Edited: 11 February 2014, 23:34
6. Re: 7 days in Seattle area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:18