We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in Seattle

My family (husband and two school-age boys) and I are flying into Seattle on a Thursday night (7 p.m. arrival), renting a car (done deal - we are driving up to Whistler with all of our ski/snowboarding gear for the main part of our vacation), and staying at the Edgewater Hotel overnight. The following morning, we would like to go to the Pike Place Market and to the Space Needle before heading out of town around noon.

Please let me know if you think that we have the time to see both of these places in a single morning (it's ok if we are a bit rushed - my kids aren't going to want to leisurely stroll through the market like I would want to do if they weren't with us). My kids do NOT sleep in ever (UGH!), so we can be out the door by 7 a.m. Also, can we plan to leave the rental car at the hotel and walk to those two places? Since we're planning on the expense of hotel parking, we'd prefer to leave the car where it is and either walk or cab it (if cabs are plentiful - I'm guessing not like they are in Chicago though...). Is it safe to walk along the waterfront?

Final question, should I buy tickets on-line in advance for the Space Needle?

Thank you in advance for your input and insight. This is our first time to Seattle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Seattle

yes, I suggest you leave the car at the garage. The hotel can give you the shortcut to take the elevator up to the mkt. Earlier the better however 7 am they may be setting up. Its pretty easy to walk to the space needle and it would be all downhill back to the hotel. You should be able to do both pretty easy. You also want to get across the border pretty early however going north is seldom as busy as going southbound.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Seattle

You should have time to do both. As david suggested, head up to the Market first, then I would recommend taking the Monorail to the Space Needle. The boys will like it, it's a quick ride. If you like, I often see cabs at the base of the Space Needle (dropping off passengers) hopefully you can snag one for a quick ride back to your hotel or it's also possible to walk or return via monorail.

Alberta
Level Contributor
658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Seattle

I was just in Seattle last Thursday. Walked down to Pike Place by 9:30 am, but hardly anything was open. A few stores inside had signs up that they opened at 11. Some of the tables that had vendors were setting up.

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Seattle

Thank you for your responses and for the valuable information! I was hoping that we could get coffee and breakfast at the Market, but it sounds like this isn't the case.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in Seattle

Hi JMBC,

Sorry, the above advice is not entirely correct. Of course you can get breakfast and coffee at the market. There are multiple places that will be open. To name a few: Three Girls Bakery opens at 6am, Le Panier at 7am, Starbucks, 6am, The Crumpet Shop, 7am. Two of the Market's most recognizable restaurants will be open. The Athenian - 6:30; Lowell's @ 7am. One of my boys "must" stops is Daily Dozen Doughnuts - opens at 8:30am.

Yes, craft and other non-food vendors may be slow to set up during a winter weekday - but they will be setting up and plenty will be open early. Those vendors and other stops are just a portion of the market. Go, enjoy your morning.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in Seattle

If you haven't checked out the PP Market website - here you go. Hours and opening times are listed under plan your visit.

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight in Seattle

Walking is fine, but remember we're talking about Seattle during ski season. Rain happens. Plentiful rain. If it's raining, don't be too frightened about taking the car or cabs. The Edgewater is no more than a $10 cab ride ($15 worst case) from the Pike Market, and parking for an hour or two will be $10 or so also, both at the market and at Seattle Center. (The monorail will be $2 per person each way, buses also $2, so with 4 it might start getting competitive.) I'd also ask the concierge - increasingly the higher-end Seattle hotels have hotel towncars or shuttles that offer free local trips. I don't know if the Edgewater has yet (nothing on the website) but I SEEM to recall seeing cars around downtown with their logo on the doors, but maybe I'm imagining it.

If you're coming from Illinois the day before, don't forget the 2 hour time change. 7 AM in Seattle is 9 at home, so you might find an early start easier than you thought,

If the weather's socked in or super wet, instead of the Space Needle after the market, consider heading back down to the central waterfront and take the Bainbridge Island ferry over to Bainbridge (then just come back.) It's a lovely ride, even in poor weather, and offers great views of Seattle, maybe the Olympic mountains, and way, way cheaper than the Space Needle. The big downtown Ferris wheel also offers good views of the bay and city.

Also meant to add that this time of year you won't need advance tickets for the Space Needle. Play it by ear.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 15:24
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
658 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight in Seattle

There is a taxi stand at the Space Needle, you will have no problem getting a cab back to the hotel if you want one.

Alberta
Level Contributor
658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight in Seattle

Yes, there were eating places open, but in my defense, the OP asked about strolling the market, leaving the hotel at 7am. No mention of breakfast. We picked up coffee at the original Starbucks at 9:30 and strolled around. On a previous trip the fish market told us to make sure we got the right Starbuck's as there is more than one, and he gave us directions. He also treated us to the tossing of the fish when I mentioned I had see this in the past. Certainly many tempting things to eat, way too many tempting things. Vendors though were still setting up after 10 am, other stores not opening until 11am. I love the market area and personally find it more fun when everything is open and its hopping. This is not to say that you can't enjoy strolling around a quiet market. Breakfast will be wonderful and memorable.

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight in Seattle

From what I remember, you can walk from your hotel to pike place. Just ask your hotel for directions. I'm a walker so I don't mind walking to the pier from downtown/pike place area (but that's just me). It's sunny here today, but will rain probably tomorrow. Seattle weather can be bipolar. If the weather is bad, get a cab? Or check if your hotel has a shuttle service (no clue if edgewater does)

I think getting breakfast at pike place would be ideal! So many great places, I would highly suggest Le Panier for some coffee & pastries , or some yummy Russian pastries at piroshky piroshky! Here are other options: http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/bakery-cafe many places open early 7am-9am.

After breakfast, go to Westlake mall and take the monorail on the top floor. It takes to the Seattle Center/Space Needle. If you didn't like walking, purchase only a 1way ticket, and take a cab back to your hotel. I think you can purchase advanced tickets on their website: http://www.spaceneedle.com/home/