We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh dungenese crab

Hawaii
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh dungenese crab

I'm looking for fresh dungenese crab but don't want to pay "tourist" prices. We will either cook it in our room or if there is a wholesaler/retailer that would cook it up for us is fine too.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

What you want to do is go to any supermarket or fish market and ask for Dungeness crab. It's already cooked - there are very few places selling live crab and you wouldn't want to cook it in a hotel kitchen anyway. Have the butcher/fish merchant clean it for you - they remove the carapace and flush out the gunk. In the same supermarket (or wherever) buy a nutcracker and maybe a pick or some other pointy-end tool (or one for each person.) Typically we pay $5 to $6 per pound; an average fish will weigh 1 1/2 - 2 lbs and will generate ~8 oz of meat. Obviously they weigh it before cleaning it.

Then when you're ready to eat, just break the crab in half and dismember the legs from the main body, and start cracking away. Have a bowl for the shell, and plenty of napkins or towels - it's rather a messy process. Dispose of the shell asap - it stinks in short order.

The degree of "freshness" depends on when you're around. It's not a year-round species; different areas have harvests at different times of the year.

A couple of crab, green salad, melted butter, crusty bread... this is the standard "company's coming" dinner for many people in the region.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 15:08
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

I've never seen Dungeness crab that wasn't already cooked. That's how it always comes. At the Pike Place Market, at grocery stores, at fish markets.

suze

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

>> I've never seen Dungeness crab that wasn't already cooked. <<

Uwajimaya and Mutual Fish on Rainier usually have live Dungeness crab. Bring money.

4. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 17:35
Burlington, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

We always spread out the newspaper and start cracking. Mess is a lot easier to clean up.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

Also, get lemons. Rubbing cut lemons on your hands gets rid of the remains of the feast. Get the garbage out of your room ASAP. My advice would be to eat in a park if possible. It is a messy operation, but delicious.

You don't have to have them clean the crab. My students from HK were appalled -- they feel the fat is the most luxurious and best part. So plan according to what you like.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

"I've never seen Dungeness crab that wasn't already cooked." Then go to Central Market or Uwajimaya - they've got tanks full of live Dungeness crabs.

OP, you say, "We will either cook it in our room or if there is a wholesaler/retailer that would cook it up for us is fine too."

Then why not just buy already cooked in the first place?

I prefer already cooked, UNLESS I'm going to prepare them Maryland style (steamed in beer and Old Bay). Cooked Dungeness crab is costing between $9.50 - $13.50 per pound right now - spendy.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

One crab is usually a pound and a half. In my planning, one crab for every two people is sufficient.

If you got your crab at Uwajimaya, you could eat it in the food court there and have a place to wash up and get drinks and side dishes. Casual it is, but lots of activity and people watching.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

Just back from Costco. Cooked Dungenss crab $7.99/Lb.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh dungenese crab

The Costco near me does not always have the seafood station, but I buy it there if I can. There is a Costco south of downtown on 4th Ave.