We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 wheel drive hire

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 wheel drive hire

We are looking to hire a 4 wheel drive vehicle in Seattle and drive up to Prudo Bay. Any suggestions on the best way to do this or has anyone got any better ideas?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

there is no land route from Seattle to Alaska. you have to take the ferry from Bellingham (psgr only) then its perhaps possible. Driving thru Canada is also possible. Perhaps others will know more or you may wish to post in Alaska Forum. I doubt many firms would allow a one way rental

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

Many people drive the Alcan highway every year. Google it. Chuck.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

<<has anyone got any better ideas?>>

Describe what would constitute a "better" idea? Cheaper? Faster? Easier? The definition of better will depend on your objectives and what you are trying to do.

You've given us very little information. Actually, you've given us no information at all, so its very difficult to advise. When? How long do you have? Is this an "on the cheap" trip or a "bucket list at any price" trip? How much driving do you want to do in a day?

In the far north, there's a point at which you are dealing with ice roads on the permafrost. These are boggy and impassable in the summer and only drivable when they are frozen solid. Maybe stick with somewhere like Whithorse, Yukon, or Anchorage, Alaska as an end point.

First thing to research is if a one way rental is even possible and then sort it out from there.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

You will be highly unlikely to find a rental company that will allow this, and all the major companies will prohibit you from driving on gravel roads, including the Dalton Highway. You will also have a difficult time (probably impossible) obtaining insurance for the drive through Canada.

I wonder if you're aware of the distance and the logistics of such a trip.

If you're interested in driving on the Dalton (and by the way you can only go as far as Deadhorse) you should investigate renting a vehicle in Alaska from a company that would allow such a trip.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

Thanks for the replies, I m sorry I did not go into enough detail, will have to get rob to do the query as seems i did not get things right.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I would advise that you post on the Road Trips forum to start. If you click on the blue link below, you will find it in the right hand column:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

You can go on good roads through British Columbia, Canada and then take the Alaska Highway all the way to Fairbanks. This is a *wonderful* drive with good paved roads nearly all the way north. Click on the blue link below for some reviews and photos:

Cariboo Highway in BC... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154922-d3…

Alaska Highway ... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30976-d27…

However -- I don't know of any car rental company that will allow one way rentals. You'd have to drive up and then return south to your point of origin. This will take many weeks as you are looking at many thousands of miles!

Fairbanks is the end of the Alaska Highway and you can drive north of there for some miles still on good paved roads. But, getting all the way north to Deadhorse poses a great big set of logistics in and of itself. The road is rough gravel, the services are *very* limited and it is *not* for casual tourists!

Please spend a little more time researching what it is you really want to do, and post on the Road Trips forum to start, then also the British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska forums :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

p.s. You do not need 4 wheel drive to get to Fairbanks Alaska :-)

Well, unless you are planning to drive in the snow season.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 01:03
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

We have 6 weeks to travel and after listening to my husband, Anchorage is the planned destination on a return driving trip. Sorry for the confusion, my fault.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

Do worries, looks like you got your information anyway. Chuck.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 wheel drive hire

Always good to get the details straight. I've spent a lot of time answering the asked question, only to discover that the asked question wasn't actually want they wanted to know. I've learned not to write too much on general enquiries until more details are provided.

Ok, so you are hoping to do a return trip Seattle -Anchorage - Seattle in 6 weeks. This is a distance of over 4,500 miles or the same as driving from... (ok, having some trouble here finding a suitable comparison. Calais to Jerusalem through North Africa is too short, but Calais to Mumbai via Belarus is a bit too far. Its like driving to Iraq from the Channel Ferry, approx., although not as politically sensitive. :) We make fun of each other, but generally avoid actually pointing guns at each other. lol)

Have you looked at reducing your total amount of driving by using the Alaska Marine Ferries for part of your trip? This is quite expensive (I know that if you wanted to just go from Port Hardy at the north end of Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert with a car, its going to cost about $1000 just for the ferry fares. I haven't looked too closely at the fares for the Alaska ferries recently, but I'm sure its no cheaper!) but eliminates days of driving and provides a memorable trip over water.

As noted, a 4WD is not needed in the summer months. You will be on sealed roads most of the time, or very good gravel roads.

A general route would take you through Hope, BC, then up highway 1 to Cache Creek and then continue north on highway 97 to Prince George. There's really not too many roads to choose from on this route, so just stick with the main highways.

Have you asked on the Alaska forum? You will probably get some good route and timing advice from them.