We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

Kansas City, Kansas
2 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Seattle on Aug. 27th-Sept. 7th. The 27th and 7th are pure travel days, so we basically have 10 free days. We would like to spend a few days in the city first, then visit ONP and San Juan Island (I would like to go on a whale-watching tour). I'm concerned about traffic/crowds due to Labor Day. I wouldn't have preferred to travel during this time. But, due to work obligations, this is the only time we have available. So, my questions are:

How should we divide our time between Seattle, ONP, and San Juan Island? How many days should we spend at each place?

What's the easiest way to get from place to place?

Thanks so much for your help!

Seattle Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Road Dog Tours - Seattle Distillery Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Distillery Tours
Escapades Northwest
Day Trips, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,693 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

Queries like yours are impossible to answer because we know nothing about you, your likes and dislikes, your physical abilities, or your reasons for visiting the PNW. We also don't know what you know about the region and what you don't know. If you give us some more information, we might be able to help you plan your trip.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

But before you re-post, Holly, please read the links on the right side of this page under the heading: "Top questions about Seattle". Also spend some time just reading the postings on this forum, ONP, and The San Juan's forums. We are happy to "help" with your itinerary, but we aren't here to create it for you. Sorry. Chuck.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 20:39
Kansas City, Kansas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

Well, I didn't want to write an excessively long post no one would read... but here you go! We want to see a few sights in Seattle and are thinking 2-3 days there. Not sure if we should go to ONP or San Juan Island next... would like to be efficient with travel times and avoid huge crowds as much as possible. We like to visit national parks (previous vacations have been to Kauai, Rocky Mountain National Park, Smokies), see wilderness sights. We are younger (late twenties, mid thirties) with no physical limitations. We like shorter day hikes (2-4 hours or so). As I said earlier, I would like to go whale watching off San Juan Island, maybe sea kayaking too? Not sure there is much else to do there that would interest us, and that we couldn't do in ONP (hiking). So maybe we should only spend 1-2 nights there.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 21:18
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

Holly; Please, if you want help, create an actual itinerary after some research. Saying you " want to see a few sights in Seattle", "Not sure if we should go to ONP or San Juan Island next..", and " would like to go whale watching off San Juan Island, maybe sea kayaking too? Not sure there is much else to do there that would interest us" doesn't help us to help you. You take care, enjoy your research, and we'll talk later. Chuck.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

Something to consider. If you want to spend more time in Olympic and are going to the San Juan's mostly to whale watch do so out of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. The boat goes to the same area that all of the boats go to. Remember the end of August is when our National Parks are the busiest. Also if you enjoy National Parks do not miss Mt. Rainier. It is a gorgeous and the easiest of our Parks to visit. Just avoid weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Rainier
Rainier
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
168 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

I'm not much help on ONP or the San Juan's but I can throw out some ideas for when you are in Seattle:

If you can stay downtown that is great. If you want to throw out some price points for hotels we can recommend some. Here is where I take visitors:

Pike Place Market - a great working farmers market. The first Starbucks (don't get coffee there the line is crazy and there is another SBUX a block away where you can get your coffee much faster) take the tour of the market or if your are staying close by there is a GhostTour of the market at night!

Pioneer Square - Seattle's first neighborhood. Take the Underground Tour. Cheesy and worth every penny. I love it! Pioneer Square has a lot of cool stores and galleries. The Glass House studio on Occidental is a working glass blowing studio REALLY interesting to watch them work. Great lunch can be had at Salumi 309 3rd Ave Mario Batalli's family restaurant.

Just north of Pioneer Square you can take a ferry to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton. Either one is a lovely ride you can have a great view of the city coming back and the boats are a fun thing to do.

I'm not a huge fan of the Experience Music Project Museum. But love the Museum of Flight just south of downtown. Safeco Field where the Mariners play is a great tour with million dollar views.

Fun neighborhoods for poking around: Fremont, Ballard, Capitol Hill.

Throw some of those suggestions into the google machine and see what interests you then we can all help you come up with a game plan for your trip.

Thanks for visiting! Hope you love our city as much as we do!

Edited: 29 March 2014, 04:56
Mentioned in this post
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
550 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Bremerton
Bremerton
Washington
Safeco Field
Safeco Field
3,718 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Fremont
Fremont
279 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Ballard
Ballard
15 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
147 Reviews
Seattle, WA
7. Re: Itinerary help please! Late Aug./early Sept.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:15