We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Vancouver bc

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Vancouver bc

We are travelling from SF around 18 Sept to leave Vancouver on 25 Sept on public transport. Considering Amtrak and want to visit as many places as possible e.g Portland and Seattle any suggestions for route and places to stay please

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

its quite an easy train trip. The issue is sightseeing without a car. Portland is quite nice but very compact so there are fewer tour operators in that city. Staying right downtown is really easy to get around Portland. It would be nice to get to the Oregon Coast but coming from SF perhaps you had a day at the ocean already. A day trip to Seaside or Cannon Beach would be fun as would a trip to the Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah Falls. Taking the train to Seattle is easy and frequent. To Vancovuer I like the morning train so you can see a lot on the way up. You can arrange an Amtrak bus from downtown SF avoiding the hassles of getting to Emeryville.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

Thank you so much. Will give the gorge a visit for sure. Not sure how many days to spend at each place. Forgot to add we are a fifty year old couple with a reasonable budget looking for an adventure without the hassle of driving.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

there are many tours you can take but most go Seattle to SF down the oregon coast. The train goes inland so you never see any water. You can look at tours by Globus, Collette and also Tauck I believe does this itinerary.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

You have 8 days altogether for this trip, correct? And while I'm not overly familiar with the train schedule, you probably need 2 or 3 of those days just for the journey, leaving you with about 5 days to spend elsewhere. I would recommend at least 3 of those days for Vancouver, so its starting to get tight for the rest of your stops.

It looks like you need to choose maybe one or two more points for stops, so its a case of whether you want to get off somewhere like Portland and spend 2 or 3 days seeing not only the city, but driving to the coast as well, or whether you want to just get off the train and spend one night each in the points on the way.

Perhaps start with the train schedule itself. Where is a logical place to spend your first night? Or would you do a sleeper on the train.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

From SF to Eugene you have only once Amtrak choice...the Coast Starlight that goes from Los Angeles to Seattle once a day. It leaves from Emeryville in the East Bay (with Amtrak bus connections from locations in SF), crosses the Cascades in t he morning and arrives in Eugene around mid-day and Portland late afternoon. The Amtrak Cascades trains and buses run on a more frequent schedule and are more of a commuter train.

As noted, seeing most of the scenic wonders along the way without a car will involve considerable planning and linking up with tour companies, most of which will originate their tours from Portland or Seattle.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

that should read "only ONE Amtrak choice."

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

The train's fun, the problem is getting to "adventure" (i.e. interesting sights, hiking, scenic spots) without doing any driving once you're off the train.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

For small van tours of the Columbia Gorge, here are some options:

http://www.martinsgorgetours.com/

www.americashubworldtours.com/oregon-tours

http://www.portlandoregontours.com/index.php

http://www.ecotours-of-oregon.com/

You can get to the Oregon coast from Portland via bus:

http://www.tillamookbus.com/

http://cannon-beach.net/cbtranspo.html

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and assistance. I think it would seem 2 nights in Portland then 2 nights in Seattle ending with 3 nights in Vancouver would give us the best trip. Thanks especially half-Brit on the links for tours. I am looking forward to my trip.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver bc

You're most welcome and have a great time :-)