We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

We are headed to Seattle in just over a couple of weeks for our Olympic NP trip . DH has never been to Seattle , but we do not arrive until 6:15pm on Saturday night and this is not a Seattle trip . However he has told me that he'd like to drive into the city at Least and take the ferry to our first hotel which is guesthouse in poulsbo .

Original plans were drive from seatac straight to hotel going Tacoma way , but DH has suggested we drive into the city and then take ferry .

So here is the possible plan , this is where we need a little help and suggestions .

I'd hope to be with luggage and with car by 7:30pm and I have looked at the schedule for bainbridge island ferry there is one leaving at 9:00pm that we could take to hotel they run until about 2:00am but we don't want a late night for our early start to Olympic . The hotel says it is 14 miles from bainbridge island . We would want to eat and it sounds like a lot of restaurants close in poulsbo around 9:00pm. What would be the best way to do this , try to eat in the city and take the ferry and get to the hotel late? Or go with original plans ? Just not sure ,I want DH to be happy and feel like he at least got to see a little bit of Seattle and take ferry ride . Suggestions please : ) .

seattle
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

It's going to be very nearly dark by the time you get the car and drive into Seattle. Suggest you stick with original plan and drive via Tacoma. The restaurants on Bainbridge Island, in the town near the ferry dock, stay open later than 9pm if you really want to do the ferry ride.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

If it were me I would take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Not sure I would want to drive into Seattle just to take an evening ferry. That said let your husband ride the ferry and see Seattle from the boat. For a visitor it is a nice sight. There are only two good restaurants in Poulsbo. I live there. Instead save some time and eat on Bainbridge. Drive off the ferry and make your way to the left lane. At the second light turn left into town. On the right hand side of the street is Blackbird Backery. Park nearby and walk behind the bakery to Restaurant Marche. The chef owner has quite a reputation. Or go to the four way stop further up the street (Winslow Way) and take a left. At the bottom of the slight hill is Doc's Marina Grill. Nice spot, good food and reasonable. You can look at their menus online. Then retrace your route and take a left at the same light and head for Poulsbo.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

You might be able to make the 8:10 ferry - the dock is around 25 min. from the car rental facility at the airport. At sunset the views are magnificent - IMO way better than the schlep around through Tacoma with Saturday night traffic - bleh.

The cafeteria on the boat will be serving - burgers etc. (or Ivar's clam chowder - terrific) or you could head to the Harbour Pub or Doc's at Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge. From downtown Winslow on B.I. to Poulsbo is around 20 min. in light traffic.

If you're lucky you'll have sunset reflected in the highrises in Seattle, and the Olympic mountains silhouetted in the twilight. http://gardyloo.us/20091226_71c2.JPG Stand out on the deck and let the wind wake you up after some long flights. Way, way better than playing freeway tag when you're jetlagged.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 04:44
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

I would take the ferry. If that is a goal, then you should do it. There are also a lot of restaurants that you could eat at in Seattle that would be much better than in Poulsbo (Cute place, but it just can't compete with Seattle for food).

Suggestion: Via Tribunali in Georgetown, Maneki Sushi or Tsukushinbo in the International District, or The West 5 in West Seattle (also, it is worth driving along 99 for the view from the viaduct here is the route you would take including the West Seattle stop: http://goo.gl/maps/pSi57). Depending on when you get there, you should be able to do those and make it to the 9:45pm boats. From there, you get to Bainbridge by 10:15pm and you can be in Poulsbo in another 20-25 minutes.

Now, this does mean that you will get to the hotel late, but I think it would be the better way to go unless you absolutely do not want to stay out that late. If you miss the 9:45, it will be later (about 12:15-12:30 in the morning when you get to the hotel).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

I would also think you might make the earlier ferry. However keep in mind that if you get on a ferry at 9p you will be arriving on Bainbridge Island around 9:30 so you will probably be looking at putting an order in at 10 or a few minutes before.

I would go to the ferry and eat in the WInslow neighborhood of Bainbridge (just up the hill and then a left from the ferry terminal).

Harbor Public House (mentioned above) is a good choice. I have only had lunch there but enjoyed it. It is pub food (burger and seafood oriented) but they focus on local producers including a very solid local beer, wine and spirits list. The atmosphere both in the pub and on the deck are very nice. They are open until midnight but I am not sure when last call for food is. http://harbourpub.com/

Four Swallows, Marche and Hitchcock are more upscale places that have gotten more press.

Of the three, I would say that your best bet might be Hitchcock. It's contemporary NW and seafood focused. I see they take reservations for as late as 10pm on Saturdays. They also have a late cocktail hour from 9-10 with some low priced small plates and snacks and drink specials including $1 oysters. Maybe that will be all you really want and need at that hour after a long day of travel and with some distance still to go to your hotel.

hitchcockrestaurant.com/hitchcock/welcome.ht…

hitchcockrestaurant.com/hitchcock/cocktail_h…

Here are the websites for the other two:

http://www.fourswallows.com

http://restaurantmarchebainbridge.com/

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

Thanks for all your replies . We're going back and forth on eating sushi somewhere in Seattle and taking the 9:45 ferry and then go right to hotel or trying to take the 8:10 ferry to Bainbridge and eat harbor house maybe , I have been before and ate docs marina grill , it was pretty good . So that's our final choices now . Thanks for all the great advice : ) .

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

Depending on which Saturday you're here, the 9:45 boat MIGHT be a bit full of happy/sad Mariners fans following a game (if it's here.) Not a deal-breaker, but just a heads-up.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

It's Saturday April 26th how's that looking for us ? : )

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

There's a game that starts at 6 PM so the 9:45 ferry would almost certainly be impacted, as would traffic in the stadium/ferry terminal area. The game would likely end at around 9.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle / Bainbridge island ferry question.

Well we've discussed it and I think our final plan is to eat sushi in Seattle , can't remember the name now of the place I found but it's a block or two from the ferry . We hope to catch the 9:00pm ferry to avoid either happy or angry mariners fans apparently lol . Then drive onto poulsbo after reaching B.I . DH loves sushi and has to try some everywhere we go .