We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

san francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

Hello all!

First timer traveling the last week of April. 40 years old, single, traveling alone. I would like ideas/suggestions where could be the best neighborhood/area to stay. I will be there for 5 days and mostly into food/beer, short day trips and walking the different neighborhoods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

Tell us a little more...what do you plan to do during your trip? What type of accommodations do you prefer, chain hotels, boutique hotels, upscale, B & B's, etc? Price point? Are you ok with public transit or do you prefer to walk/cab?

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

Capitol Hill, it's smack in the middle of everything like food and beer. And perfect if you don't own a car because there's little parking. Convenient access to bus. Walking distance to pretty much all the popular stuffs like the Chinatown, or Space Needle. It's also close to Lake View Cemetery which Bruce Lee and his son are buried (it's a popular tourist thing to do). If the weather is nice you can rent kayak at South Lake Union and go on the water. You can catch a Mariner's game at the ballpark if they are in town.

For me personally I would stay close to the Chinatown because I love Chinese food and Japanese food. Uwajimaya is the place to visit down there. Very cool place to see. No equivalent in the SF Bay Area.

The Chinatown area (better known as International District), is close to Space Needle and the flagship Nordstrom store which is popular shopping area. It's also close to the Gameworks which has all you can play video games on Thursday nights for $10.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 08:23
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

Mahadragon is looking at Seattle through rose-colored glasses: The International District is at the south end of the business district; the Space Needle is well north of downtown. The shopping district is in the middle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

yes some of 'his' answers aren't really applicable but nice attempt to help. Chinatown in SF would make ours look like nothing. To say its close to the space needle is not very accurate.

san francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

Thanks to all. Basically I will not rent a car, so everything will be done with Public Transportation. just want to walk around and enjoy the city and maybe take a couple of day trips. Mid-range accomodations, around $100. I think that would cover it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,350 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

You want to stay downtown or maybe on Queen Anne or Capitol Hill.

Sorry unfortunately there aren't any $100 accommodations except The Moore Hotel and a couple of hostels (or bidding on sites like hotwire or priceline).

suze

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

$100.00 is not mid-range accommodation in any major American city. It is cheap.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

$100 is not mid-range in Seattle. $100 will typically buy you a very budget hotel in a not so great location.

I did look at the Moore, as mentioned above, a no frills hotel, with a terrific location and for the last week in April, rooms are available for $92/night. They have a shared bath queen for $72/night.

The Mediterranean Inn on lower Queen Anne has rooms for $94. Look also at the Roosevelt and the Hotel Max, they should have rooms in the low $100 range. Pensione Nichols, a small B & B with a great location at the Pike Place Market has comfortable rooms for $125, and they include breakfast.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 02:41
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

I can help with beer.

A couple blogs:

http://seattlebeernews.com/

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/

If you are interested in groupings of breweries/brewery tasting rooms there are a few in the greater downtown area (Pike, Elysian, Pyramid (plus Rock Bottom, Gordon Biersch, McMenamin's locations which are non-local chains)) but there are more clustered in the areas with more warehouse space in the neighborhoods.

Ballard has 10 breweries now (Urban Family, Peddler, Hilliard's, NW Peaks, Reuben's, Stoup, Populuxe, Maritime, Hale's & Bad Jimmy's.) Here is a map showing them all.

http://www.myballard.com/breweries/

Part of the embedded map is hidden behind the key. Click the full screen option to see the whole thing.

A couple of the Ballard breweries are really at the border of adjoining Fremont where there are a couple more breweries and brewery tasting rooms (Fremont Brewing, Outlander, Odin Brewing's Asgard Tavern).

Ballard and Fremont also have a wealth of bars including a few top places like Brouwer's and SixGill in Fremont and Noble Fir and The Dray in Ballard. Brouwer's in particular is one of Seattle's great bars. They don't have the huge tap lists of the chain places that are starting to open around downtown (Taphouse Grill, Yardhouse, Henry's Tavern, World of Beer) but they have probably 65 well selected taps, 300+ bottle selections and they are infliuential with events throughout the year.

Take a look in forum posts for more beer posts but just off the top of my head here are a few others you should look at:

Capitol Hill

Pine Box

Quinn's

Capitol Cider

Von Trapp

South Lake Union

Brave Horse Tavern

The Wurst Place

Lower Queen Anne and Belltown

The Masonry

Red Papaya

Rocco's

Edited: 10 April 2014, 02:42
10. Re: First Trip to Seattle. Which Neighborhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:15