We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

Hey there

So, after much deliberation, we're going to head over to Bainbridge Island this weekend with "the mother" who is visiting from the East Coast.

That being said, I'm thinking about aiming for that 10:30ish Ferry, but was wondering if it's going to be insane as the weekend is shaping up to look lovely.

Thoughts? I was sad to find out I can't pre-book the tickets as I hate the ambiguity of just showing up.

Melia

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

Thoughts? About.....? Thanks. Chuck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

No issues. Just go. It's a 30 minute ride one direction.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

I assume that you and your mother will be walking onto the ferry. If so, you will have no problems.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

I assumed the opposite - that you'd be driving. If so, go, get in line, well ahead of your sailing time, assume you will have a one boat wait, if you get on earlier, woo-hoo, if you have to wait longer, then plenty of time for conversation with mom. Remember to that there is plenty of construction and traffic congestion getting to the Seattle ferry terminal, and adjust your time for that. Here is some real time wait info that's good to access before you go. If you are walking on, then no problem.

…wa.gov/ferries/…

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

I assume you are going to tour on Bainbridge Island and not just heading back to Seattle after arriving. I recently took the 1-hour Bremerton ferry, then, after several minutes, took the foot ferry to Port Orchard. Walked around a bit and then headed back. Absolutely lovely trip, with great views of the Seattle skyline and Mt. Rainier and several islands along the way, and I liked being on the longer ferry ride, but there is more to do on Bainbridge Island.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

make sure there isn't a Mariner game going on at the same time as parking will then be a lot harder to find.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

If you are taking a car visit Bloedel Reserve--it's a lovely spot.

I don't think a random weekend, even a nice one, in April will be insane. Hopefully you'll get some specific direction about how long in advance to line up from people that take cars on this route.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

Mariners are playing Oakland Saturday at 6:10 p.m. and Sunday (Palm Sunday) at 1:10 p.m.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:45
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

This is what happens when a poster is not clear when they post. Walking? Driving? Is there a question? Chuck.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bainbridge Ferry on a gorgeous Saturday

I also agree you will have no problem with any ferry walking on. The ferries on that route hold 2500 passengers. If you are just planning on walking into the Winslow village area from the ferry (you can also take a cab if your parents aren't up for the walk) you don't need a car.

You can also get around BI by cab or bus but it would be more convenient with the car if you wanted to go to winery tasting rooms, the Bloedel reserve etc.

If you want to drive the Sat 10:35 am trip is the last before the peak period. That ferry and the one before it (9:35) are rated yellow for likely moderate congestion (April to June). The key says "vessels can fill close to sailing time." The ferries are very large though (about 200 vehicle capacity) so if you get there in the hour after the prior ferry you should be fine.

If you are worried about being pushed back later you might consider arriving 10-15 minutes before the prior ferry. You will either get on that earlier ferry or worst case scenario you will be on the next one.

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/spr…

Edited: 09 April 2014, 20:27