We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA Credit cards with chip or not

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VISA Credit cards with chip or not

Our VISA credit cards have no chip. They are the common ones with the magnetic stripe.

Last year we visited Scandinavia. Everytime we used them, as they didn´t have chip I had to tell them I had no chip and I had to sign. Most of the times they solved the situation pressing some code and no problem. A few times they were not accepted.

After our trip, in June 2013, some relatives visited the same places and they coulnd´t use VISA CREDIT CARDS WITHOUT CHIP.

At this time we wonder which is the situation in USA. We are visiting Washington, Oregon and California, so I am posting this in the 3 forums.

As always, I thank you in advance!

seattle
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

We're still way behind the times. Very few banks here issue CC with chips so you will have no problems using cards with the magnetic stripe,

Edited: 09 April 2014, 04:14
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

Americans have some of the same problems using their non chip cards in Europe, but non chip cards are the norm here in the USA so no problem. Make sure to let your bank know your traveling to the USA before you leave.

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

Nobody uses the chips in the credit cards in the U.S. and no retailer will expect you to have a chip in your credit card. But, if you decide to visit Canada (which is very close to Seattle) they do expect you to have a chip in your credit card because I've had a hard time using my card up there. It's not impossible, they either run your card or do something to get around it, but it's a pain in the you know what.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

You just sign. You may or may not be asked to show ID. I use a U.S. card, without chip, in Brazil all the time, and they know to give me a slip to sign. My wife has Brazilian cards-- debit card with chip, and credit card without. I wish the vendors would always ask for ID, even if there is a chip, since someone can get a PIN.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

Thank you! That makes usto be relaxed about that.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

This is good to know since I will be visiting Canada in August.

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

If you are purchasing gas in the US with your credit card, at a pump which requires a zip code, you will not be able to use pay at the pump option. Allow extra time to go in, leave a pre-authorized amount, and then back in once you have pumped your gas.

(I know the Postal Code option for Canadians which works everywhere for me).

8. Re: VISA Credit cards with chip or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 07:16