We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Victoria,B.C.
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

My son(20) is attending tournament at Key Arena on these dates.I am going as I have to pick up the tickets!, but am looking forward to staying and doing other things. Coming from Victoria BC, not sure whether to bring car or not, don't want to. Haven't been for many years, but excited about seeing Seattle.again!!

Questions: Where to stay if no car and walking to Arena ? Plan to extend visit 2-3 days on one side , so 5-6 days total. Indoor pool would be bonus. My impulse is to stay near arena so he can come and go to hotel easily, but would welcome suggestions..

Good restaurants ( not touristy, but of course July will be touristy anyways!)

Is Dale Chihuly museum nearby?

Any suggestions in general for what to see that's nearby?

Many thanks

Edited: 18 April 2014, 18:08
Clipper Vacations
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Ferries, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Puget Sound Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,465 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Key Arena is at Seattle Centre, so you might want to look at the Silver Cloud Inn Lake Union. Its a few blocks from Seattle Centre, and there are other hotels closer, so you'd have to weigh that out. We stayed there for two nights in February and I quite liked the hotel. There's a nice pool, its quiet, its on transit routes, and the included breakfast was plentiful and decent. There's a few nice restaurants within walking distance for dinner. It was quite reasonable by comparison to other Seattle hotels. I've read some of the reviews that said the front desk staff were grumpy. I didn't deal with them much. There weren't charming, but they weren't miserable. They neither made nor spoiled the stay.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Look at the Maxwell - a block or so from the Key, free downtown area shuttle, pool, breakfast, free wi-fi, tons of fun restaurants close by. Chihuly Self Aggrandizement Center is a very short walk.

http://www.themaxwellhotel.com

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

That weekend Seattle will be crazy---there are alot of area events. a big one is the Bite of Seattle that happens in that same Seattle center area as Key Arena.

https://www.biteofseattle.com/

There are a few other events that weekend around the Seattle area.

Being in Seattle for about 5 days or so I would look into renting a car for the day and drive to Mt rainier or explore somewhere else.

there are a few hotels right around there but they may be sold out for that weekend as of now. look downtown. The Seattle city bus system is very good so you can get around easily

Dale Chihuly museum is near Key Arena in Seattle center area as are: Space Needle, Science Museum/IMax, Key Arena, EMP museum, and a few other places

Edited: 18 April 2014, 20:18
Victoria,B.C.
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Thank you so much Vancouverite. . I was just reading up on Silver Cloud, before I looked here, though I was looking at another of their hotels that I thought was nearer to the Arena. I will call and find out which is closer,. It did seem more reasonable for what it is than others. Quiet would be wonderful! Thank you!

Victoria,B.C.
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Thank you ibgardyloo and Dan for your info. I had to laugh at the "aggrandizing centre", do I detect he is not well loved in Seattle? I saw a documentary on him and the centre which made me want to go. You made my day though.. The Maxwell is sold out for those dates, I had looked at that one and prob would have booked it otherwise.

Thanks Dan for letting me know about he Bite of Seattle happening then, I will book ASAP in that case! Maybe I will bring my car after all! Thanks all... Susan

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Silver Cloud is probably a nice hotel but way too far to walk usually to the Seattle Center everyday. look at the Mediterranean the mark queen The Inn at Queen Anne and the Maxwell those are all very very close to where you wanna be

Victoria,B.C.
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

Thank you. I ended up getting one of the last rooms at The Mediterranean Inn. One Queen bed, so son will be on floor on air mattress !! I did check Silver Cloud and noticed it was 2.3 miles away, so nixed that... Just grateful I got a room somewhere, apparently there are 10,000 folks coming to the gaming tournament!! Thanks for your feedback.. Susan

8. Re: Travel July 18-21 to Seattle for gaming tournament

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:16