We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Topic
DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

I'm wanting to use skymiles through delta to purchase a flight from DTW to SEA, and then two hours later, catch a flight from SEA to ICN.

The specific flights i'm looking at are delta 2628 and delta 199, I've never flown before and i have zero experience so i'm very confused. I can save 700 dollars by using my uncle's skymiles to buy the DTW to SEA flight and then purchasing the SEA to ICN flight on my own, but is two hours enough time to get off of the flight and board the next? This wouldn't be a "legal" connection.

Thanks!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

DTW Detroit? ICN? Seems like it is cutting it too close, since you have to go out of security to get your bags and recheck them. If you're traveling carry on only , it is still short but might work, depending on if one of those is an international destination.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Picking a random date (June 2nd) I see an 8:45-10:29 AM flight #2423 DTW to SEA. Connecting flight # 199 departs SEA to ICN at 12:25 PM. You'd have to ask the airlines to link your flights otherwise the luggage wouldn't be automatically transferred from your first flight to the 2nd. Not 100% sure if that's possible, so hopefully someone can advise you on that.

Without connecting the 2 flights, then you'd have to leave the secure area, claim your luggage, then re-check. I simply don't think 2 hours is enough time to do that.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

I called delta and they said that in detroit i can check in for both flights (DTW to SEA) and (SEA to ICN) and have them put my luggage on the (SEA to ICN) flight. So i don't think I would have to worry about transferring my luggage, with that said do you think this is possible?

The date of travel is June 18th

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

If Delta says they can transfer your luggage, then I think you're fine to book your tickets. Sea-Tac airport is fairly easy to navigate with underground trains/subways between the physically separated satellite terminals. Looks like Delta international flights depart from the South Satellite. delta.com/content/…seattle.html

portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/…South-Satellite.aspx

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Thank you for the response! I was just really worried because i've never flown before and it seemed like 2 hours would not be enough time. But delta said that the transfer time is usually 70 minutes, and with them transferring my luggage, i think it should work.

What would be my plan B if the time isn't enough? Because this isn't a "legal" flight transfer i fear that if it doesn't work out, I will have to pay a huge fee to get on another flight

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Delta has 1 daily direct flight from SEA to ICN. It would be up to them as to how they get you to your final destination. Did the Delta rep (on the phone) say that this wasn't a legal flight connection? I'm a little bit unclear as to how splitting a bookable ticket into two transactions wouldn't be 'legal' unless done so to take advantage of a difference in airfares. To use SkyMiles you're kind of forced to do this.

Note that airline schedules are typically padded with a bit of extra time, so a late departure from DTW could still get you to SEA with enough time to make your connection.

Ultimately everything is governed by the 'contract of carriage' which is issued with your ticket: i.e. delta.com/content/www/en_US/legal/contract-o…

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

I'm doing this to take advantage of getting a free detroit to seattle flight, which would ultimately save me 700 dollars. I would be buying two separate round trip tickets ( DTW to SEA using skymiles from my uncle) and (SEA to ICN using my own cash), so it's not as if this is a planned layover on one ticket that i purchase

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Right, it's entirely up to the airline as to whether you'd be "protected" in case of a missed connection. FWIW there's a Korean Airlines departure a couple of hours later than your Delta SEA-ICN plane (most days - when are you flying?) and Korean is a Delta partner, so in the worst case they COULD put you on the Korean flight.

As far as the transit, it will all probably happen inside the south satellite (S gates) at Sea-Tac, so it will be a case of simply walking a few feet/yards to the ICN departure gate - no security, no inter-terminal trains. Probably.

If your bags are checked through, then connecting shouldn't be much hassle.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

Okay that sounds perfect! I'll look into the Korean Air flight. I plan on travelling on June 18th and returning on August 17th. I don't know how to thank you for all of the help, this has been a nightmare for me and I really appreciate it!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DTW to SEA to ICN, is 2 hours enough to transfer flights?

If it's not too much of a bother, do you know a specific flight number for the Korean Air flight? I might as well just book that one to be sure the times will work out.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 01:20