We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Seattle?

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Seattle?

I have an idea of things I want to see. Staying at the Moore Hotel. No car. Have done Mapquest walking & transit. Seems like it takes me walking even if I put transit for the locations I want. From Moore Hotel to Space Needle & MH to Pike Place & MH to Klondike Museum. I don't mind walking. However, I was thinking of Walking to the PikeplaceMarket. Maybe a bus/train to space needle?

Long story short If walking is the best way to go. Is 2nd Avenue a safe/walkable area either going toward Virginia and or going toward Stewart - depending if going to Pike or Space Needle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Seattle?

your within one block of the market and it would be about one mile to space needle. All the area is fine but you may find 1st ave more interesting but it really doesn't matter. There are any # of buses that will take you right to Seattle Center from downtown. To Klondike its a bit more of a walk but still perhaps one mile downhill.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Walk , wander and look. Lots to see and pretty flat if you are going north or south, hilly if going east towards Capital Hill.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Seattle?

You can easily walk or take the Monorail (from Westlake Center shopping mall) to the Space Needle at Seattle Center. The main transit corridor through downtown runs along 3rd Ave, so it's also easy to catch a bus West to Seattle Center or East towards Pioneer Square.

Your hotel is about 2 blocks from Pike Place Market. Walk to 1st Ave, then a steep downhill to Pike Place (the road which runs through the market).

For the Klondike Museum walk East along 1st Ave, then left on Jackson to the 2nd Ave Extension. As mentioned you can catch a bus on 3rd Ave to Pioneer Square. Another option is to walk to Westlake Station in the transit tunnel, then catch a Link train or bus to the Pioneer Square Station stop in the tunnel. On buses put money in the fare box by the driver. For Link pay your fare at the ticket kiosk on the Mezzanine level before descending to the platform level.

Monorail http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

King County Metro trip planner, etc. http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

Walking downtown is generally fine until dark. After dark I would avoid walking through Pioneer Square or Belltown and stick to 1st Ave when walking across town. Later in the evening I'd rely on public transit or step into a bar/restaurant and call a cab.

Pioneer Square and 3rd Ave (transit corridor) are magnets for homeless, beggars & the down and out. I don't mention this to frighten you, but to prepare you and ask you to be aware of your surroundings.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Sodomojo's directions are wrong. You walk north to the Seattle Center and south to Pioneer Square. In Seattle the Avenues run N-S and the streets E-W

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Unfortunately downtown Seattle streets are not on a perfect North/South & East/West grid. I would say that Seattle Center is NW of downtown and Pioneer Square is SE of downtown. I apologize for any directional confusion.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in Seattle?

There's lots of up and down hills in Seattle. Be sure to have good walking shoes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Would not advise walking or riding buses downtown after dark.

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Thanks. This helps a lot. No, don't plan to walk after dark. Seems like it stays light till around 9 p.m.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Use the monorail between your hotel to get to Seattle Center/Space Needle.

From your hotel it's a very easy & close walk to the Pike Place Market.

Pioneer Square is to the south and would take about 20 mins. to walk it from the Moore.

Technically the Needle/Seattle Center is a tad northwest and Pioneer Square a tad southeast, but you really don't feel that when you're walking the street grid of downtown Seattle. It will just seem north/south to you.

There's a slight uphill as you're walking north & downhill walking south between Pioneer Square and the Center.

-suze

Edited: 08 May 2014, 17:44
Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in Seattle?

Seems like it should be pretty easy to get around. Mapquest transit icon seem to just always have me walk - may not have done something right.