We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When it rains...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When it rains...

I will be coming to town this Thursday through Monday. The forecast went from sunny and warm to 40-50% chances of rain almost every day. Most of my activities are planned for the outdoors, so I'm wondering if it does rain, how long does it usually rain for/ is it a light or hard rain/ could it still clear up some to get a little sun if it rains?

Thanks all

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,695 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When it rains...

It's sunny right now. Really gorgeous out actually. I wouldn't worry about the weather.

There is no "usually" here in Seattle. But I would more expect light rain than a downpour this time of year. But either could happen. Most locals don't bother looking at the forecast because it is hardly ever accurate :)

suze

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When it rains...

Just have a good jacket and a collapsible umbrella handy and you'll be fine. The weather is very changeable this time of year. i.e. If you don't like the weather, then wait 10 minutes.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
1,887 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When it rains...

And sometimes the rain falls only during the night.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When it rains...

we almost never get a deluge, just a sprinkle. Last wknd was supposed to rain and it was gorgeous. Predicting the weather is never accurate on the coast. Just come and be surprised like we are to see the yellow thing in the sky.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When it rains...

Echoing the above about the accuracy of forecasts.

In addition, if

"Most of my activities are planned for the outdoors"

means hiking and the like, keep in mind the forecasts for the foothills and mountain-areas can be considerably different from Seattle in general. It's almost always more likely to rain in hiking territory.

About the rain itself, again echoing others, it's rarely the sort of rain that others are used to. It's more typically a light drizzle that just sort of sticks around for hours rather than a true rain. This is why the PNW region gets such a reputation for rain -- it "rains" often" -- but actually gets less total rainfall than places like NYC.

If you have a light rain jacket, that should be all you need and I'd recommend that no matter what the forecast was saying.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When it rains...

The trend the last couple of weeks when rain has been predicted has been a little of spotty showers. I would not worry about anything like rain for half the day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When it rains...

Great, thanks everyone! Our "outdoor" activities aren't hiking, etc. but just lots of outdoor sights around Seattle (Kerry Park, Pike's, exploring Ballard, ferry and the such) ... sounds like we will be fine.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When it rains...

If you plan your activities on the eastern slopes of the mountains (Cascades or Olympics) you stand a better chance of staying dry as you are mostly in a rain shadow. Sometimes the Olympics "shadow" will being farther north around Sequim and Port Angeles. Even then, take a light rain jacket and sunscreen.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When it rains...

"Rain" does not have the same meaning in Seattle that it does in Texas. You get frog-stranglers fairly frequently (I have lived in Houston and Galveston); we get one once or twice a year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,225 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When it rains...

Not sure how your forecasters work, but my observation is that a forecast of 60% or less translates to "its going to rain for a while in some places around the region". It needs to be more than an 80% chance of rain for it to be the sort of rain that would really spoil your entire day.