We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions

Hi

We are planning to be in Seattle 11AM - Sunday to 7pm of Saturday for 6 days in the month of June. We have a teenager and a youth. First time in seatlle and very excited about it- Base on books I got from Library these are on our Wish list, Looking at variety of interests in our family- Boeing Museum, San Juan Orca Island, Space needle,Chihuly Garden,Public Library, Pike Market, Hiking Waterfall trails with waterfall - in Mount rainier or Olympic Park, which provides better options for scenic trails.

I have hilton points and will be using those for stay in their Lynnwood property for 3 nights, other 3 nights I am looking to book hotel. Please make suggest what all we can cover, any given day we don't want to drive more than 3 hours

Edited: 24 May 2014, 07:20
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions

Olympic National Park is a gorgeous destination, and you have the time to visit it, but it requires 2 to 3 nights. If you decide that you would like to include ONP in your itinerary, write back, and the DEs will help you plan your trip. The San Juan Islands also require at least one, preferably more, overnights, so you would could do either ONP or the San Juan Islands, but probably not both.

Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions

If possible, I'd recommend staying closer to downtown Seattle. Lynwood, while seemingly close on the map, adds in an extra 30-60 minutes each day of driving to activities in Seattle -- especially when you factor in traffic.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions

I understand using points...is the SEATAC ara have a location with similar points? From the airport you could take light rail into downtown for the day.

for Orcas Island you really need to do this as an overnight trip. Preferable you stay one night in anacortes and then take the first ferry int he AM to Orcas, then stay there for one night, then come back the next AM.

In June Mt raineir will likely still have snow cover at the main locations. If gets really warm here 80+ over a week it could accelerate the snow melt. Mt Rainier is more of a place you could do a day trip to see.

For boeing there are two separate things---their is the Museum of flight on boeing field and then there is a tour of a boeing manufacturing plant north of Seattle in Mulkelteo.

To visit Olympic National Park...this also needs to be an overnight trip. Forks from Seattle takes 4 hrs. Forks is a good base where you can visit hoh rain forest and Rialto beach and Quinault and Kalaloch.

In olympic snow wont be an issue except for Hurricane ridge because there you are still at high elevations. the rain forests and the coast and Lake Crescent are lower. in elevation so snow is no issue.

If you do Seattle on the start/end days of your trip you have 5 days to do other things. It will be hard to do it all so you will need to pick and choose what you want to see.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions

Can your points get you in any hotel closer to Seattle? Lynnwood is an awful long "commute" on the typically crowded I-5 freeway for seeing any of the sights/sites you mention.

suze

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions

Thanks for feedback. Yes 5 days are short looks like- I need to cherry pick. For sure because of kids/spouse interest I want to do 4 things: Boeing, Walk atleat one or may be two green waterfall trails, Orca Island and downtown attractions. Looks like they are all over the map

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
162 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions

So Space Needle, Chihuly Gardens, Pike Pl Mkt and the Library all be done easily in one day. The restaurant at Chilhuly is great so park by Seattle Center in the morning do the Needle then the Glass Garden have lunch at the cafe ( it's small you may need to make reservations) . Take the Monorail downtown (there is only one stop) Get off the monorail walk three blocks west and you are at the Market.

When you are done with the Market you can easily walk to the library. When you're done retrace your steps and take the monorail back and get in your car.

One free and fun thing to do after the Market and on your way to the library. Go to the 17th floor of the Russell Investment Center and see the view of Puget Sound. From the Market go to the farthest south end. You'll be at 1st and Union. Turn left cross 1st Ave walk up to 2nd Ave and walk into the building - there is a Chase bank in the street level. Take the elevator to 17. Big outdoor deck where you can see the Sound as well as a cool view of downtown.

To get to the library I'd walk along 5th Ave to more to see (window shopping) and fewer pan handlers.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 07:36
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions

Thank you for great suggestion

Seattle
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions

The closest major waterfall to Seattle is Snoqualmie Falls, east on the I-90 corridor to the town of Snoqualmie. The trail to the base of Snoqualmie Falls is just 1.2 miles. The link to the Washington Trails Association article about waterfall hikes is below:

wta.org/go-hiking/…waterfall-hikes

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions

You could visit Mt. Rainier NP as a day trip from Seattle. It is a long day. It is about 2 hours to the Nisqually Entrance but thereafter driving through the park is slow going. From the Nisqually entrance you follow the road along the Nisqually then turn up towards Longmire and up the mountain to Paradise. Following the road onward from Paradise you travel through the Stevens Canyon area to the Ohanapecosh area.

Here is a listing of some of the waterfalls. Make sure to check the trail conditions on the website or check with a ranger. There will still be a lot of snow in the park during your visit.

Here is a listing of some of the falls in the park:

nps.gov/mora/…waterfalls-sep11.pdf

Along the road between Longmire and Paradise you can see Christine Falls and also Narada Falls.

www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/falls.php…

These can both be viewed from the road or right off the road.

For Narada Falls there is a parking lot at the top of the falls with a steep but short and fairly easy trail down to a view point.

Ruby Falls is also nearby.

Paradise is still snow covered but the road and parking area will be clear (see the NPS website's webcam) and it is enjoyable to see the visitor center there and look around/ take pictures.

in the Ohanapecosh area you could hike the Silver Falls Trail. Be very careful not to get too close to the slippery rocks. The trail conditions report on the Mt. Rainier site says that the trail is snowfree. nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/silver-falls.htm

I would also highly recommend the easy Grove of the Patriarchs trail from the Ohanapecosh area. It is a stand of massive old growth trees on an island accessible by a suspension footbridge.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions

You could explore Whidbey Island, more "efficiently" than San Juan or Orcas Island with the day long loop tour mentioned in this article.

Whidbey Island is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

San Juan Islands Highly individual choices as to whether Orcas or San Juan Island; we prefer the latter. This article provides specific information re: what to see and to do on the major islands, with key websites. The islands are best seen by basing on one and visiting the others as day trips. Recommend two nights, but at least one night. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

While at the Pike Place Market, explore all the nooks and crannies, horizontally and vertically, plus you'll see nice views of Elliot Bay (including from some restaurants). Plan about two hours.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:18