We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

I had my husband wanted to visit the Museum of Flight but then realized it was the Boeing tour he was interested in so I have change some things around! We have almost 3 full days in Seattle. One day is for standard tourist destinations, one for a kayak day, and a 3/4 day to visit Boeing.

We can rent a car for the day at a location near our hotel but if we rent on a Sunday we can return to the airport and not have to pay a cab or take the light rail. Is there an advantage to doing the tour on a Friday? Is there more activity at the plant or doesn't it matter. Also, I guessing traffic may be worse on a Friday vs Sunday.

A Sunday visit would be a better value but if the tour is more interesting on a weekday, we can do that too.

Thanks for any help!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

The Boeing people I know don't work weekends. It is fun seeing the assembly happening, so I'd lean toward Friday. You could go to the Museum of Flight on Sunday - highly recommended.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
710 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

Its a trade off. Less traffic getting there on a weekend day, but less going on in the factory too. The airplanes will all still be on the line (they don't move that often). If you go on Friday because you want to see people working, go in the morning, the lines tend to slow down after about 2pm.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

Even when things are busy the view from the platform where the tours go isn't terribly dynamic - mostly people walking around. Once in a while they'll be rolling a plane somewhere, or attaching an engine, but it all goes in slo-mo - it's not a car factory. I'd go on Sunday and drive the rental car to the airport. Note that southbound traffic into Seattle on weekend afternoons can also be a pain, depending on which direction the "express lanes" (reversible) are using, so I would still advise a morning tour of the plant.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

From the plant to the airport on Sunday, take 405. Never a Sunday backup.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

Boeing tours at the Everett plant run from 8:30 - 5:00 seven days a week (closed on major holidays). Check them out here boeing.com/boeing/commercial/tours/index.page

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

And I have to say, even though the workers didn't do anything flashy I liked seeing them at work. So I'd still vote for Friday. Getting a car is the best way to get there. Go eat at Ivars or Arnies before or after, or combine with quick day trip to Fort Casey and Deception Pass.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

A whole day kayaking? Where? I can see a few hours on, say, Lake Union, a very diverse shoreline. While there, BTW, I understand the "new" Museum of History and Industry is very well done. http://www.mohai.org/

If you have not been to Seattle, there is much more to see than in one day. Would you like recommendations?

We found the Museum of Flight infinitely more interesting than the Boeing Tour.

If you choose to spend a full day exploring, I agree with ainwa, Whidbey Island. It's a great one day getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

Thanks for the tips. I think we will stick w Sunday since it works best w checking out of the hotel and getting to the airport. We will go early and have time for other things before we go to the airport.

As far as a kayak "day", I know it will be more of an afternoon. This is a get away child free weekend so I know we will want to have a sleep in relaxed morning on Saturday. We are going to the Mariners game Friday night.

I appreciate the feedback

Edited: 18 June 2014, 09:26
9. Re: Boeing tour on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16