We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting Seattle for the first time. We want to experience the Space Needle without paying and going up. Where is the best place for photos and to view the Needle?

Thanks!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

have no idea what you mean by 'experience' and not paying, however going to the top of Queen Anne Hill and getting a picture from Kerry Park would be a great photo and view for free.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

Sorry for being vague. I am looking for the best way to view the Space Needle and you answered that for me. Thank you. Any other viewing suggestions?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

I don't understand your problem. Just go to Seattle Center and look.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

Google "Space Needle", go to Google Images for many photos, taken from various places. David's suggestions are good. If you take a ferry ride, which I'd suggest, zoom in on the Needle. From the ferry you can get great photos of Seattle; you can see these also on Google Images. If at Seattle Center, well, as said, you are there; look up and photograph it with a wide angle lens, which most point and shoots have.

Do you need other help for your Seattle visit?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

You can get 'free,' unobstructed views of the Space Needle from the Top of Queen Anne or from the top of Capitol Hill.

It's also visible from many places on the Seattle Center grounds.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 13:57
Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

the very best way to experience the Space Needle is to go to the Seattle Centre fountain, pretty much right at the foot of the needle. It's one of the most underrated places in the city. it is a terrific public space. you can sit for hours and people watch as kids and adults alike dance and play in the dancing waters to a variety of different kinds of music. it is next to the center house, where there are nice clean public rest rooms and a decent food court, it is near many different theaters, including the seattle shakespeare company.

EMP, the SCi-fi museum and the pacific science center are also right there.

There are grocery stores nearby if you want to make it a picnic and sprawl on the grass. I always enjoy spending time there, whether it a few minutes or half a day, and it costs nothing.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

Wow, great information from you all ... Well except for kaleberg, but whatever. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've never been to Seattle so I didn't know there is space to have a picnic, where to take the best picture, etc. That's how I would prefer to experience the Space Needle. Any other tips? Y'all are the best!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

I like this spot as well. Approach from Mercer St and go in and you will get a pix of the fountain and the space needle. The sun is often shining at you but you can get a pix if you go under a tree. The fountain is also set to music sort of a mini Bellaggio, and was set up during the fair as well

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

Any of you remember the original musical water fountain that had, as I recall, ugly pipes spurting water and rocks piled at the base? Very unfriendly, compared to the newer one with the flat, frolic friendly, surface.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seattle+center+water+fountain&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS453US453&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hL-yU6jMGYubyATru4GYAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=633&dpr=1.25

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Free Way to Experience Space Needle

I would add a vote for Kerry Park. It is as close to the "Frasier" view as you can get.

I like taking a pic straight up from near the base as well. You can go right up to it.

Another idea is to take a picture of something else that is quintessentially Seattle with the Space Needle in the background.

I like the view of the Space Needle from Olympic Sculpture Park where you can take a pic of Calder's "Eagle" with the Space Needle in the background. If you Google "space needle olympic sculpture park" and then go to the image results you will see several options (through the base of the sculpture ... from the level of the park that the eagle is on with the full sculpture in the foreground ... from the waterfront path. There is also a great pic I saw with Louise Bourgeois' Father and Son" fountain (on the SW corner of the park at Waterfront level) with the Space Needle in the background.

Other options in this category might be the Gehry designed EMP/Fi museum with the Space Needle in the background or perhaps the outside of Chihuly Garden and Glass with the Space Needle in the background. I have also seen some great pics of the Space Needle from inside the Chihuly Garden and Glass if you were planning on visiting that. Try Googling "space needle from chihuly" then clicking on the image results. This will show you both views (from inside and outside from the near the base with parts of the center and outdoor sculpture in the foreground and the space needle in the background).

Another one would be a pic of the space needle with the monorail in the background. The monorail station (another remnant of the World Fair) is very close to the base of the Space needle. There are plenty of places where you can get the track with the Space Needle in the background. As the monorail runs regularly you could definitely get a picture of the actual monorail cars in the foreground and space needle in the back ground. The track also goes right through the shell of the EMP/Sci Fi building and I have seen a couple great pics capturing the train, gehry facade and the space needle in one picture. Google "space needle from monorail" and click on image results.

-K

Edited: 01 July 2014, 16:04