We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Topic
Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Hi everyone, I have visitors arriving at Seatac around noon-thirty on Friday August 8th this summer, and am wondering the best way to get them to Poulsbo? My impression is that the ferry lines and even Bainbridge traffic gets pretty crazy on Friday afternoons during the summer...Do you have any suggestions whether early afternoon on a Friday in August it would be better to try the Bainbridge ferry, Kingston ferry, or Drive over the narrows bridge? And what kind of wait times / traffic lines we might expect for each? Thanks for any suggestions, this is their first time out here and I'd like to show them what a great area we have. John R

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

It does get crazy, but if you hustle directly to the ferry you'll probably be ok. You could go down to Tacoma, but tat stacks up too and is further away. You can take either ferry (Bremerton or Bainbridge). Bainbridge would be ideal, but may have a longer line. You have to decide at the time you get in line, so look up ferry waits online (or simply ask the attendant).

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Thanks! Do you think Seattle - Bainbridge Ferry or Edmonds - Kingston Ferry would have a shorter wait time that time of day / early afternoon?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Sorry to say, pick your poison... see the color code, bottom of the two tables.

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum…

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum…

I prefer the more scenic route, Seattle/Bainbridge Island.

I think they are larger than on the Edmonds/Kingson run.

I'd not want to drive north on the freeway then to Edmonds, only to wait on a hill being bored. At least in Seattle, once you've paid your fare, your touring friends can walk around the ferry terminal.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 04:03
Washington
Level Contributor
525 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Not the Edmonds ferry. By the time you dive thru Seattle to Edmonds you could have driven to Tacoma across the Tacoma narrows bridge and be in Poulsbo.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

PS You can walk them around the town of BI, then on to Poulsbo.

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

Thanks a lot everyone, this is helpful. It sounds like Seattle to BI may be the way to go, still a wait but scenic nonetheless. Have a great start to your week, John

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

This is really helpful for planning, especially the tables. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

When you get to the ferry ask them which boat you can get on first. The ride to Bremerton is longer but then the drive to Poulsbo is shorter from there so the time ends up being about equal. If rather be in the boat than in the parking lot so I always take the route I can get in first.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

My gut reaction was surprise. And Google Maps says:

Bremerton to Poulsbo

27 min

18.5 miles

Bainbridge to Poulsbo

23 min

11.7 miles

I think the ride from BI to Poulsbo, including visiting BI the town, and over the Agate Pass Bridge is more scenic.

The Bremerton ride is longer and quite scenic.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:53
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
236 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route to Poulsbo on summer Friday afternoon

I love ferries but I would vote for the Tacoma bridge. You said visitors with an "s" so they could get in the HOV lane for a big chunk of the drive on I-5. If it is clear, they would get a great view of Rainier. The bridge is free in that direction so they wouldn't have to deal with tolls. Maybe go home by the BI ferry?