We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I missing anything?

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Am I missing anything?

I will be traveling to Seattle from Sept 18 to 22nd with my husband, 1 year old, and sister. We will be visiting friends but I want to have an idea of what we want to hit rather than leaving it up to them. We like to visit unique neighborhoods with fun restaurants/shops. We would like to have some nice lunches as well. My husband is a photographer so we definitely want to visit some scenic places. We prefer being outdoors to visiting museums. Should we take a ferry somewhere? Here is what is on my list:

Kerry Park

Gas Works Park

Olympic Sculpture Park

Ballard Locks

The gum wall

Chihuly Garden

Pike's Place Market

Snoqualmie Falls

Is there anywhere you think I should add to my list? Remove from my list? Any comments?

Mentioned in this post
Kerry Park
Kerry Park
2,894 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I missing anything?

visitseattle.org/Essentials/Seattle-Maps.aspx

Scroll down under Visitors, on the left, and click on Discover. Lots of other goodies on this site.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I missing anything?

I think your list is good.

One small suggestion, I think there are much nicer parks than Gasworks (other than the lake view there). Like Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, which is a very lush and beautiful place. It's also right on 15th Avenue East and a few blocks away is an area with loads of fun shops and restaurants like you're interested in.

suze

Edited: 08 July 2014, 23:22
Mentioned in this post
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
147 Reviews
Seattle, WA
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I missing anything?

Too bad they drained the reservoir at Volunteer Park. Is that permanent?

Anyway, great place for photos.

It is a very pretty city, OP, and you can only go wrong if you stay parked in your relatives' living room. Like anywhere else, people around here often do home things instead of going out exploring. Get a car or get on the bus if thats the case, and meet them back home for a late dinner.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 23:47
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I missing anything?

Sorry I disagree. I think if you are into photography then Gas Works park is a good place to go. Do a google search and look at some of the photos. It has some interesting features that make for great back drops. And if you are into outdoors then you have to spend some time at Pike Place Market. Feel free to wander from the market a few blocks in any direction. Lots of great street scene's to photograph. Depending on how much walking you want to do (You have a small one) you can start at Pike Place Market and make your way down to the water front and then head either direction on the waterfront. Olympic Park will be to your right as you are looking at the water and on a clear day the shipping docks and Mt. Rainer can make for great backdrops for portraits or city shots. And finally if you make it down to the water front then you can take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island. If you walk on then you only pay on the way out and then it is free to come back. You can either wonder Bainbridge a little bit or just come straight back. From the ferry you will get great shots of the city including the space needle.

And my final recommendation. Spend some time at and around the Space Needle. You can't come to Seattle and want to do photography without getting some good space needle photos. The Seattle Center has lots features to photograph in addition to the space needle and they have some nice water feature that kids of any age like.

Mentioned in this post
Space Needle
Space Needle
14,673 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1,278 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I missing anything?

We have no problem doing some walking! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I missing anything?

I throw this photo op out for your consideration.. At Magnuson Park we walked into an extended array of carefully placed dorsal fins taken from many retired submarines. One Google image of several:

dguides.com/images/seattle/attractions/warre…

Edited: 09 July 2014, 05:13
7. Re: Am I missing anything?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16