We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

I am staying with a friend in Seattle at the end of August, but would like to arrive early and spend a few days elsewhere solo.. At first I thought about Portland, but I'd prefer other (less city) parts of Oregon, and don't really like driving. So now I am considering Vancouver. I can fly into Vancouver from NY and stay there a few days. And then find my way (amtrack it seems is best option) to Seattle. Any thoughts about that? I do not want to rent a car (I hate driving), so I'm wondering if I will be able to do activities in/near Vancouver without a car. I'm a 38 yr old female, and love the outdoors, hiking, biking (not very good), kayaking, rafting, beaches, and anything that's hands on and experiential (versus history tours, etc- not really into that). I know I can go to Whistler from Vancouver, but not sure without a car. Do you think if I found a hotel in Vancouver they might have some excursions that I could sign up for (bus picks you up, etc.) that are worthwhile and nearby? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

You can manage Vancouver without a car quite easily, but you really should be asking your questions on the BC board - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154922-i80-Britis…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
698 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

One advantage of Vancouver, over Seattle, is that the mountains are much closer and the beaches are better preserved. You will have no problem doing the outdoors things you want to do, by yourself. My favorite place to swim is the 150 yard outdoor salt water pool on Kitsalano beach. And Kayaking can be done from Downtown in either city.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

If you stay downtown in Vancouver, you will have easy access to transit that can take you to Stanley Park (biking, walking along the SeaWall), Kitsilano (beaches, eclectic shopping, eats), North Vancouver (hiking the Gross Grind, for the workout, not the view), Commercial Drive (eats and general vibe), and Port Moody Inlet (for kayaking). All this can be done on your own without the need to sign up with any tour group. You'll just need to rent the equipment needed at the destination. The Vancouver Hyatt is a good place to stay at as it's right in the midst of downtown, and the Skytrain and bus stations are right there.

4. Re: Seattle to Vancouver for a few days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 07:16