We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2014 in Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Avon, Indiana...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas 2014 in Seattle

I'm visiting my daughter in Seattle for 4 days over Christmas. It will be the first for us both there as she just moved there after college this summer (we are both from the midwest) - so we need some advice on what to do and where to go. We need to try to stay under $150/night for accommodations, but nice so we can be together (she has a very small place with no room for mom) and we will not have a car so will need to be able to walk, take public transit, or the occasional cab or shareride. What "MUST" we see or do for our first Christmas in Seattle?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

A fun outing would be the Chriatmas Train day trip to Leavenworth in the Cascade mountains. Alki Tours puts it on and it sells out fast. Book early if it sppeals to you.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 23:04
Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

What part of the city is she living in? would you like to stay near her apartment?

Usually we say "stay downtown" but $150 is tough (almost impossible) to find there.

suze

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

Part of your "what to do" question can be answered by the Top Questions about Seattle on the right side of this page. Here is a very useful link:

visitseattle.org/Essentials/Seattle-Maps.aspx

Ray's suggestion is a good one, but the dates might not work out for you: www.alkitours.com

Christmas is a fairly festive tine in Seattle....lighted Christmas ships with carolers cruising the shores of Lake Washington and Puget Sound/Elliott Bay are always fun. Westlake Center, which is the heart of the shopping district, has a carousel and lots of activities. And I can't forget Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

Remember Christmas/December in Seattle will be very dark and days short (sunrise 7:56am , sunset 4:23pm), so plan your activities thoughtfully. Rain and cold temperatures are likely. Snow, quite unlikely, but can be possible.

A good source for events and activities is the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau. http://visitseattle.org/

Regarding hotel rooms, yes $150 is difficult, but depending on your actual dates, it might be possible, as often the days just before Christmas are slower. I checked the Mayflower Park Hotel, a very nice, local hotel right in the heart of downtown, and they have a single queen for $139 or a double queen room for $159. Or you may consider bidding on a 4* hotel within the downtown core. Look also at the Kimpton Hotels (Monaco, Alexis, Vintage Park). I just did a quick search with no special codes or discounts and the Monaco had rooms for $159, so I am sure you can do a little better than that. The Fairmont, a grand Seattle hotel, which is decorated just beautifully at Christmas, had a room for $153. The Fairmont also offers a car service in the downtown area, a nice convenience.

There are plenty of shows and theater classics at that time of year, and I would plan on taking advantage of one of those, depending on your interests, we have some wonderful productions - The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol (ACT), Black Nativity, Seattle Symphony, etc. The 5th Avenue will have 'A Christmas Story" about a boy from Indiana...

The Gingerbread houses at the Sheraton Hotel. Winterfest at Seattle Center. Christmas Ships are always my favorite. You can book a seat on any of the lead boats for a fee or watch (for free!) from the shore. However all of the later dates in December depart from Lake Washington and the Eastside in Kirkland, which likely won't work for you. Here is the schedule:

argosycruises.com/dining-cruises/…

I, too, like the idea of taking the snow train to Leavenworth, you'll love the terrain, Christmas lights, etc. It's so different from Indiana. However, as bobmrg indicated, the last Snow Train is December 20.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

One other thought. Take a look at Pensione Nichols.

http://pensionenichols.com/

It's a small, sweet B & B located right near the Pike Place Market, excellent location. Slightly below your price point, about $130 or so, with breakfast included. I think you'd enjoy it.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

If you're a Federal Govt employee, you might get lucky and get a room at the gov't rate...

or, if you have AAA, there's rate for that, too

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

I would enjoy the christmas decorations -- the tree and Carousel at Westlake Park, the windows at Nordstrom and Macy's. the Santa at Nordstrom. The gingerbread houses at the Sheraton. The lights and decorations at Pike Place Market. When I am walking around downtown at Christmas I like to get a coffee to go from Monorail espresso -- one of the oldest coffee shops in town (it was originally one of the first coffee carts in Seattle). Go pre-Christmas shopping in the neighborhoods like Fremont (where the Lenin statue will be draped in Christmas lights or Ballard. There are always neat finds like I came across a shop whose craftsmen all made ornaments for the first time for a fundraiser. Most of the breweries in town will have Christmas and winter beers on tap. The finale Christmas ship parade will end up off shore at Gasworks park. It is magical. They sing to the crowds on shore and there is a huge bonfire. There must have been over a 100 boats and kayaks on the water.

I have never been to the Leavenworth Christmas festivities but it sounds fun. Another option might be going up to Mt. Rainier or somewhere else nearby for snowshoeing.

-K

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

Forgot theater and arts. That is one of my favorites times to see shows.

That Mayflower deal would be perfect as it is right in the heart of the downtown Christmas fun.

Up by Seattle Cente prices at the very well reviewed Maxwell always drop off dramatically in the winter. They are currently showing rates of around $135. They get really solid reviews with about a 95% positive review rate (excellent and very good) and only 1.1% of their reviews have been poor or terrible only three of those have been in the last year. You can get downtown by a reasonable walk or using the bus or monorail. There are bus lines to Ballard, capitol hill and fremont nearby. You might also ask your daughter if she has considered signing up for car2go. Their smart cars are cheap and ubiquitous and you can drive them one way most places in Seattle.

The Silver Cloud Broadway is also an easy-moderate walk or short bus downtown. It is near Seattle U so it is really close to the many restaurants, bars and shops and arts on Capitol Hill. I ran check in 12/23 and check out 12/26 (the dates I also ran for the maxwell) and they are showing rooms from $109. The hotel is rated #11 in Seattle -- just above the Mayflower and just below the maxwell (9). That doesn't mean it is better than the Mayflower ... just means more people on average rate it slightly higher than the guests of the mayflower. Still the silver clouds have a good reputation (and local shuttle service).

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

I love doing the Argosy Christmas Ships, which were mentioned above. The last night, 12/23, is definitely the best because of the large number of boats. They leave out of Kirkland, which may be tricky without a car, but you can watch from the shore. They stop at different places depending on when you go, the evening of 12/23 they stop at Portage Bay and Gasworks Park.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 07:00
Avon, Indiana...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas 2014 in Seattle

Many thanks to all of you - our trip begins tomorrow and we are excited to experience many of your recommendations! Best to you this holiday season!!