We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Seattle!!

Huntsville, AL
8 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Seattle!!

Hey,

I have a free Delta ticket voucher I am going to use on a trip to Seattle. I also have 4 free nights at a La Quinta.

Here is what I know I want to see:

- Mt. Rainer

- The downtown market, waterfront, needle

I want to visit the best coffee shops, idea?

And, anyone know of a good seafood buffet?

I am considering one or two of the following:

- trip to redwood forest in California,

- trip to Vancouver and Victoria

This all started when I was planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies (Jasper, Laker Louise), but that trip is postponed till next year.

Is it going to take 2 days to drive to the redwoods and come back? If I go to Victoria/Vancouver, is that a trip that needs 2 or more days? I want to get away to nature, and a day at Mt. Rainer will help. What if I took 2 days at the redwoods, 3 days in Seattle, and 2 on the Victoria island? Is that too much in that short amount of time? I don't want to get to the redwoods and wish I had more time...

So any advice and opinion about how to plan this trip? Tks.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

It would take almost 2 days to drive to the redwoods and almost 2 days back - that should be another trip. Instead you can take an overnight trip to the Hoh Rain Forest on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. It's the only temperate rainforest in the US. Many huge beautiful trees, waterfalls, and miles of hiking trails. You could also stop by Hurrincane Ridge and see the tremendous views of the mountains. There is a boat that goes directly from Seattle to Victoria and actually could be done as a day trip. I would choose one of the two because you really need a couple of days to see Seattle. Don't miss Mt. Rainier - that will take a full day as it is a 3 hour drive from downtown Seattle. There is usually snow on the roads to Mt Rainier by the end of September or early October but so far this is a dry warm summer so it might stay clear later. Once it snows up there the hikes are not as much fun. If you come after winter starts then take a day trip down to see Mt St Helens which is about a 3-4 hour drive one way instead of Mt Rainier.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,980 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

I do tours to the redwoods from Seattle and you don't have enough time. I also do tours to Canada and the Rockies. I would suggest spending two days in Canada. One in vancouver and the orher in Victoria. Look at Victoriaclipper.com. You can train to Vancouver very inexpensive. From Vancouver take the feerry to Victoria, then boat back to Seattle. That would be a doable schedule. You can't do Vancouver and Victoria in one day.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

You definitely do not have enough time to drive down to California and back, yet alone have any time there. Maybe you could make it but it would take most of your entire 5 days for the round-trip drive!! seriously, check a map.

You could do Seattle 3 days, with an overnight up to Vancouver (it's approx. 3 hour drive straight up on the freeway) I guess. Going to Mt Rainier will require almost a full day (since it's 2 hrs. drive each way from downtown Seattle).

But since you say you want to get away to nature I'd skip Canada and spend some time in Seattle, then head down to the Olympic National Park and/or out to the coast (stopping at Mt Rainier on your way).

Not to worry, there's good coffee shops absolutely everywhere. Which La Quinta are you staying at? Locals often prefer to go to the independent owned places like Vivance, Ladro, Victrola, on and on - fun cafes in every neighborhood (rather than going to Starbucks or Tully's chains).

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

I've been thinking about your questions. I really would encourage you to skip Canada, and definitely skip California... spend your time out in the country from Seattle. You say you want to get away to nature, so why not do it? You only have 5 days & it is absolutely gorgeous here. Walking in the rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula is amazing. You could have 1 day in Seattle at each end of your trip, and 3 days to do a nice loop out over the Peninsula and the coast.

Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

I've lived here two years and still haven't seen it all. In 5 days bearing in mind an interest in the out of doors though you should see the Aquarium on the waterfront. I'd suggest Snoqualmie falls which is a short trip east of town, and maybe a canoe trip through the arboredum. There is a museum in the U-district that rents the canoes.

My favorite coffe shop so far is Zeitgeist near the pioneer park area, it's just across the street from the only 'citified' National park in the U.S. which features a lot of history on the Klondike gold rush. You might want to check that out too.

Seafood is plentiful, most area restaurants have specials, Ray's Boathouse near Silshole or Salty's at Alki are both really good. You'll just have to decide how much you want to spend.

The Victoria trip is generally best for an overnighter, I liked the San Juan Island -Friday Harbor- Whale and Sealife trip better (12 hours in a single day!)

I'd also do the redwoods another time, wait 'till you see those bananna slugs! wow.

Huntsville, AL
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

Wow, thanks a bunch!!!!!

I have read your posts and they have helped me change my plans. The trip to Victoria is on hold till next trip. I'll arrive on a Tuesday this September. The plane lands 11:00am so that gives me to check-in at my hotel at Tacoma, then head to the Needle to watch the sunset. Wednesday is an all-day trip to Mt. Rainer. Still don't know where to go there, but continually reading...

OnThurs & Fri I intend to go to the peninsula and stay those 2 nights at a cheap motel. Ideas anyone? Then I'll come back to Seattle and spend the Sat & Sun visiting all the stuff downtown. On Monday I depart for home.

I figure that the best time to visit downtown is on the weekend when more parking is available and no rush hour traffic. And, I assume the best time to visit "the mountain" and the peninsula is during the week. I could put this trip off until the first week in October, but in two weeks there will not be a moon out at night, and maybe I'll see more stars? It's funny, I'm planning this trip around when there is not a full moon! hahaha

You guys are right... I'm putting off Victoria until another time. I feel I will return to Seattle again. And, I'll plan to go to the Redwoods when I have more time to see that side of California.

Huntsville, AL
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

Also, is some of the books I have read have said that there can be crowds at the nature parks in September. If I am going to Rainer and the Olympic peninsula during the 3rd week this month, and on weekdays, am I going to encounter a mob of people?

To answer someone's question from earlier, I have free stays at an La Quinta. I'll be staying at the one in Tacoma since it doesn't require so many points to be redeemed for a free night as compared to the Lq's downtown.

When I run out of free Lq's stays, I can always stay at the hostel downtown. About $35 a night for bunk accomodations. Still looking for a very cheap place at the peninsula.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

Hopefully you realize Tacoma is a 30-45 minute drive from Seattle depending on traffic on the freeway?? But it is south, so in the direction you'd want to go for Rainier and the Peninsula.

9. Re: 5 Days in Seattle!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 03:15