We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions Please for Trip to Mt. Rainier, WA

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions Please for Trip to Mt. Rainier, WA

My son and I will be visiting Olympia, WA and then plan to spend a day at Mt. Rainier. Would appreciate any suggestions for comfortable, clean lodging near Mt. Rainier. The following day we will be driving back to SeaTac Airport for an evening flight. Apparently the airport only seems to be an hour away from Mt. Rainier, but I have read here that the driving will take all day. Is that truly the case? If so, how long do you think I should allow for our return trip to SeaTac.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions Please for Trip to Mt. Rainier, WA

Driving will not take you very long. Mt. Rainier is on the outskirts of Tacoma which is only 20-25 miles from the airport. Can't advide on accomodations but you needn't spend much time in driving, depending on where you end up staying.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions Please for Trip to Mt. Rainier, WA

It is over 60 miles from Tacoma to Longmire at Mt. Rainier and even farther up the mountain to Paradise. Plan on 1.5 to 2 hour drive from Mt. Rainier back to I5 and then 30 minutes to SeaTac airport. Most of the drive is 2 lanes and winding so you cannot go very fast. Paradise Lodge is being refurbished so you can try and stay at the lodge at Longmire otherwise you need to stay at one of the hotels outside the park entrance. From the entrance it's about 30-40 minutes up to Paradise where the Visitor's Center is located. The Visitor's Center is also being redone but I believe you can still use parts of it. The Skyline Trail leaves from that parking lot and is breathtaking on a clear day. Stop at all the little parking areas on the way up to Paradise as most are trailheads to scenic areas such as waterfalls, etc. You didn't mention when you are going but you should check the weather reports and road conditions if you go after the first of October. The roads up there can be difficult if it has snowed very much.

3. Re: Suggestions Please for Trip to Mt. Rainier, WA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 01:20