We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

St. Louis
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

We are planning an Alaskan cruise next summer. We will end our cruise in Vancouver and would like to spend several hours touring before we head to Seattle. We will then spend the night in Seattle and catch a flight home the next day. We have looked into renting a car (approx. $170) for the day. Now I am reading that the train might be a better option. Does anyone know the cost for Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. Also, what would we do with our luggage from the time we get off the ship (in a.m.) until we check into train (approx. 5 p.m.)

Thanks for any info.

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

it cost about $28 USD per person. less if you're senior, have AAA membership or can find a discount code. The only train runs at 7:30am (mind you've i've taken amtrak from seattle to Vancouver), so it's probably a different time. all the other times are buses (same price). none the less checkout their website for more details.

www.amtrak.com

other option is www.quickcoach.com, cost a bit more and transit time is a bit more. But if you can get a hold of an entertainment book they have coupons for 50% off up to 6 people or so, so it would be comparable.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

Hi,

here is the correct info. Amtrak has one train per day to Seattle from Vancouver. It leaves at 6:oo pm or so. You could store luggage at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver. Just hand the luggage to the bell guy and give him a tip. YOu would have all day to explore Vancouver. The visitors bureau is across from the cruise dock so you could get some ideas. The train to Seattle usually runs about $32 but for $12 more or so you can upgrade to business class. The advantage is they let you board first so you can start eating dinner in the rest car if you want. It also gives you a bigger seat etc. Its really the best way back to Seattle. It follows the coast and is very scenic. Quickshuttle wasn't so quick. I work in Canada so do this almost weekly. Trust me on this one.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

Thanks for the info. It does sound as if the train is our best bet. I was hoping we might get up to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge while in Vancouver but it sounds as if that will not work out. We have been on a suspension bridge outside of Quebec City so I imagine it is similar anyway.

I did find out that Amtrak charges $3 per bag to store our luggage for the day in Vancouver. So, the Pan Pacific Hotel idea sounds good. We could certainly give the bell guy a huge tip and still come out ahead.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

if you would like to visit Capilan Bridge there is Seabus that goes from very close to the cruise dock. You take the boat over to North Vancover and the bus meets you and will take you right to Capilano or Grouse Mountain. You can get an all day pass for $8. The pass also gives you access to skytrain that stops across from the train station.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,869 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

I would consider the car rental. Would give you more freedom for timing and itinerary along the way.

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

Hi,

I live in Vancouver and have a girlfriend of 4 years who lives in Seattle with no car. She has taken Amtrak numerous times back and forth between the two cities and has enjoyed it, but there is also another transportation option. There is a bus company called Quick Shuttle that leaves Vancouver or Seattle up to five times daily. It leaves directly from many major hotels in downtown Vancouver and goes to downtown Seattle or the airport, etc. Further the journey only takes around 2.5 - 3 hours and a one way ticket is around US$20 - $30 depending on the time of year.

You can visit their website at: www.quickcoach.com to check schedules and make reservations.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Myles

Dayton, OH
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

Like Cesky, we too are cruising from Alaska to Vancouver next summer and would like to take the train from Vancouver to Seattle. Where can I get more information about the train? Specifically, I want to find out if you need to book a seat ahead of time and how you go about doing so.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

its easy. Cal 1-800 usa rail or visit Amtrak.com. Advance reservations are nice to have as the fare goes up with less availability. Also upgrading to business class is a worthwhile perk as it lets you board first . If you go to the website be aware there is a vancouver washington as well as BC

9. Re: Transportation to Seattle from Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:17