We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

We arrive at almost midnight 6/5/2018. We will be heading out the morning of 6/6 to Denali, picking up car at 7:30 AM.Presently planning on staying in Healy 3 nights. Where is the best place to pick up provisions? Anchorage? Eagle River? Wasilla? We're mostly looking for breakfast'lunch/snack stuff. We'll probably eat dinner out each evening before heading back to our lodging (or getting it to go!).

I remember reading on a thread that somewhere you pay sales tax on food and somewhere you don't, but I can't remember which is which. We won't be buying a ton of food, but every little bit of savings helps. :)

Thanks in advance!

12 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Eagle River Fred Meyer is an easy off and on at that time of the morning. It is right off the North Eagle River exit on the Glenn Highway. No sales tax in Eagle River (Yet). Fred Meyer would have anything you could need.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Well I have some exciting news - in December Healy is getting a real full size grocery store - a 3 Bears, and we are hoping it will be pretty price competitive to the other communities in Alaska. I will keep you posted. Where will you be staying while in Healy? :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
3. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Thanks spacefry! :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
4. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Coalminer, I haven't made a reservation yet. Right now I'm looking at Denali Lakeview Inn. There are three of us ladies, and they have some rooms w/ a king and a twin. Queen beds are kinda tight for two non-married, non-skinny folks. :)

I had head that a grocery store was coming but not when or what kind. be sure to post what all they carry and some prices. I know that will be a wonderful thing for the locals. If nothing else, maybe we can get the cold items there and not have to mess w/ a cooler.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 19:11
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Lakeview does have great views - here are a few others that may work for you as well:

https://www.denaliprimrose.com/rooms.html They have one with 3 beds

http://www.aspenhaus.com/ One of their suites

https://www.vrbo.com/1044505 There maybe a few more vrbo that may suit you 3 as well.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
261 reviews
6. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

The Lakeview provides a few morning snack things in each room too, including fresh raisin bread, muffins, cereal, yogurt and fruit. We never had to bother eating breakfast out while staying there. Don't wait to book your room, I called to make a reservation as was not getting any responses via email.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
7. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Thanks fflbrgst for the info. They are almost all booked up for rooms that will sleep three people for my timeframe, so I gotta make a decision quick!

Thanks for the other recommendations coalminer. I am checking on their availability in case Denali Lakeview gets booked up before we can decide.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

You are welcome! :)

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
919 posts
163 reviews
9. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

My last trip back to my home state of Alaska was a late night arrival and the car rental places were open at the airport. I didn't want to spend any time in Anchorage. There is a Walmart that is open 24 hours as your headed out of town. I was locked and loaded with everything I needed and out of town before rush hour traffic. You could just pick up your rental car and start driving ... Wasilla will have everything you require. Once you get north of Willow there will be roadhouses with great breakfasts.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
10. Re: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?

Our flight lands right before midnight. That will be 4 AM our time, so we will be ready for a bed. :)

Reply to: Best place/area to stock up on groceries ANC to Denali?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted