We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for October 23 travel

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed for October 23 travel

Hello, I am looking for any advice possible. I have been to Anchorage in mid September 2005 and loved it. I find myself in a dilemma I wanted to return up there with my wife but the only time she could get away for a few days would be Oct 24-28th. I am unsure if we should plan on coming up there then, or plan a trip next year for a longer period of time and a different month. I am concerned about what the weather will be like, since it is late October and we are only there a few days. The things I love most about my last trip was driving around and above tree line and also seeing the rivers and old mines etc. Any advice would be nice. Or do I just go to Florida and relax and go to Alaska when the weather isn't in transition.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

Ahhhh, Florida does sound nice for October......(can I come, too ?).........late spring or summer would be a far better time to enjoy Alaska, especially the scenery above tree line.........or, if you enjoy skiing maybe you could postpone your trip a little and visit Girdwood......saw a newsstory on the Alyaska ski resort there concerning their remodel project and future plans to add another lift and biking/hiking trails for summer......looks like a great place !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

I agree with mombear . . . head to Florida or Mexico . . . late October is winter up here and I think you would enjoy it much more if you came during the regular tourist season. We would be happy to help you plan a trip for 2008! :)

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

What about Northern Lights during this time frame?

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

By the way thank you very much for the help.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

Mastro . . . well, anytime it's dark up here, northern lights are a possibility . . . but so are clouds and snow . . . very hard to predict. Some areas are better than others . . . you really need to be away from city lights. Often people wanting to view the aurora come to the Fairbanks area, as the weather in the Interior is generally cold and clear much of the winter. :)

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

well I was actually wanted to drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks if we came up. But it sounds like I should wait and do it another month as October is very hit or miss with weather. I did enjoy the second week of Septembers weather in anchorage a few years ago.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

Fla in October? Hurrican season? I'd rather take my chances with a snow storn - and I dislike both.

My trip for this Feb/Mar started out with just a couple of days in Anchorage. After reading all these great threads and links I've extended it to almost 3 weeks. And it still isn't enough time to do and see everything right in the Anchorage area. I'm not really a city person, but darn, within an hours drive or so you can be in a different world and still come back to a nightlife.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

Hi, the nice thing about late October is that it isn't really winter yet - coming from damp and cold Connecticut, you'll be okay because it's a dry cold here. Driving is usually good and there aren't crowds on the roads! Personally, I'd say come on up, rent a car and have a lovely few days. If you leave Anchorage when you arrive and stop somewhere like Talkeetna for the first night (about 3 hours from Anchorage), then go on up to Fairbanks (another five hours or so), come back to Anchorage on the "old" road through Glenallen stopping along the way. Then, if you can, spend a day in Anchorage - it's a great little trip and you'll see a lot of different country doing this loop. Beats Florida IMHO!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

Call me crazy, but I think it's a looong way to travel from Conn. to Alaska for 4 days!! We were there for two weeks on two different occasions and could have used more time.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for October 23 travel

I would have to agree with the previous poster. I travel from Alaska to Connecticut 1-2 times a year and it is a long flight.....just 4 days here just isn't enough time. Traveling takes up a day in itself. CT could be cold and damp at that time of year but it is still fall there and could also be 60, we seem to always have snow by Halloween and I would definately call it winter not fall. I don't know somewhere warm and sunny with a beach sounds good to me. The again I am trying to scratch up a trip to CT at that time (I haven't seen real fall in years) so what do I know.