We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Mount Joy...
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Hi, I am planning a long weekend for President's Day and I was hoping for some recommendations. I would like a modern place that is close some good restaurants and movie theatres.

Also, we love to look at homes. Does Anchorage have a lot of open homes on Saturday's and Sundays or new homes?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Downtown has the most upscale restaurants but no movie theaters. Midtown - a few miles away - has movie theaters as does the Dimond (south) area about twice as far. If you'll be looking at homes, you'll need a car so getting to the theater from downtown shouldn't be a problem.

There are lots of new hotels built in the area so finding a modern hotel should be easy. Downtown - Marriott, Clarion, Captain Cook, Hilton are all good. Midtown is more of the midline hotels - Springhill, Hampton, Hilton Gardens, etc.

Can't help on the open house thing but might try looking at the local paper - www.adn.com

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

AlaskaChick-

Does the 5th Ave. Mall not have a cinema anymore???

-Case

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

No. 5th Avenue does not have a movie theatre, but Dimond mall does. There is also a Century 16 movie theatre off of 36th Avenue across from Loussac library.

Mount Joy...
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Thanks for the input, now I have to decide between Dimond Plaza, Homewood Suites and Spring Hill Suites. Sounds like any of them will be good. Any thoughts or recommendations?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Roluke

My daughter just went to Anchorage before Christmas, stayed at the Dimond Center Hotel and absolutely loved it......it was located within walking distance of the mall where they did all their Christmas shopping...room was very luxurious with large soaking tub and plush beddding and included breakfast....She also raved about a restaurant called Henry's (I think they ate there a couple of times)....

I have stayed at Homewood Suites and have to admit it was absolutely the best hotel I have stayed in.....Suite included full kitchen, living room and separate bedroom....very upscale and very quiet....indoor pool, hot tub and gym downstairs....full breakfast and on some nights an evening "Snack" that is enough for dinner.....it is located off by itself a little, not really within walking distance of anything, you would need a car....

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Dimond Hotel is my favorite in Anch.

If your looking for convience to shopping, movies etc it is perfect as it's located in the parking lot of the Dimond Center Mall. I love the soaking tub!!

It's not far from the Hillside district which has some very nice large homes. Take a scenic drive up O'Malley Rd heading towards Flattop. I'm sure you could find some open houses looking through the sunday paper.

Mount Joy...
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Dimond is the best bet! I will report back after the trip. Oddly enough, I am as excited as I was when visiting Alaska in the Summer. I can't wait! I just hope it is clear out and I can see the mountains. Plus, it will be nice to see some snow.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

I recommend that you stay at the Dimond Center Hotel. The rates are really reasonable during this time of the year and the beds are super comfy. There is a soaking tub in each room and aveda products. It's also next to the Dimond mall which has a movie theater in it. Lots of restaurants close by and it is south Anchorage, which in my opinion (because I live there) is the best place to look at housing. Also if you happen to be military, the hotel gives a discount.

9. Re: Where to stay in February and site recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 12:20