We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel 6 Anchorage?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Motel 6 Anchorage?

Have got most things planned and booked for our June 1st - 15th trip, and am now taking care of our Anchorage accommodation as the final step. Have started looking at prices, and yikes is all I can say!! We fly in 1 am on a Sat night, (what is with those crazy flight times anyway!) and will then stay Sunday and Sunday night in Anchorage for recovery, before heading off to Homer.

I am looking at Motel 6 at $144 a night, I realise it's nothing flash, but I think it will suffice. Was wondering if we could survive the Sunday without our rental car if we were based at the Motel 6? Really just want to see the Cultural Heritage Centre and some of the town if we can stay awake long enough.

Also, the best rate for a rental I can find is from Alamo at the airport, despite what everyone says about airport taxes. $694 for a 12 day rental, does that sound in the ballpark? I figured we could take the free Motel 6 shuttle back to the airport to pick up the car on the Monday.

Thanks!

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel 6 Anchorage?

penstar-

Yep, summer hotel rates in Alaska are enough to make you cry.

I've stayed at Motel 6 several times and can't complain. It's not the height of luxury, but its usually clean and warm. It's a fairly new facility (w/in last 10 years). It's typical of Motel 6's everywhere in that the rooms are small, the walls are a little thin and the beds are not luxurious. The only complaint I do have is that the beds are pretty small. I think their "big" beds are usually just doubles. My husband and I are both really tall and usually end up getting a room with two doubles and sleeping in separate beds!

Motel 6 is in Midtown and the Heritage Center is out by the AFB. You can cab it easily, but for the rates you are getting on the rental car (less than $60/day) it might be worth it to get the car. It would free you up to see a little more of the town. Anchorage is very spread out and cab fees could get exceed your car rental rates quickly.

There are a couple of restaurants near Motel 6 (TGI Fridays and Golden Corral). You could walk farther for others, but I hate walking in areas with so much traffic.

Your rental rates sounds great for summer rentals. Did you check with Dollar and Enterprise? They both have booths are the airport and I often find great rates with them.

I hope this helps!

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel 6 Anchorage?

penstar1000,

Please check www.hotwire.com before making any

reservations! We got a good deal at Extended Stay

America Midtown. If you are unfamilar with Hotwire,

send me a message and I'll try to help you out.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel 6 Anchorage?

AS I mentioned on another string, just beware of location when you are getting good deals. Try to avoid anything far down Spenard Road as it's a rough part of town.

Anything mid-town, as in the previous poster's recommendation, is much safer.

4. Re: Motel 6 Anchorage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:18