We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

Why are the hotels so expensive in Anchorage?? I have been searching for something decent around $150.00....is it impossible? Can anyone give me some ideas or at least the best hotel for the price most of the 2-3 star rated hotels are getting awful reviews. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Our arrival in Anchorage is June 28th I understand that is peak summer season. Would like to find something close to airport if possible we don't pick up our car until the next day. Thanks for any info.!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

"Why are the hotels so expensive in Anchorage??"

I guess because they can get away with it. Prices drop significantly after mid-September when the tourists have gone... Perhaps try hotwire.com. They have a 2-star in the area of the airport that night for $147. One of the locals might even be able to figure out which hotel it is for you, or maybe you can do that yourself.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

I agree - it's horrid, but we have a short tourist season so they up the rates. I was flying home from Hawaii one time and the only place I could find was Red Roof for $120 a night; it wasn't bad, but certainly not in the hundred $$ category. I would play around with hotwire, priceline and places like that to try and get the best possible rate. Good luck! :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

We saw how expensive the hotels were and we decided to go with B & B's instead. The prices were reasonable and they were a lot nicer than hotels. We won't hesitate to stay at a B & B again.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

Honestly, and I know I am the exception here, I have not found the Anchorage hotels to be all that outrageous. My key? Book early. For last summer (2007) I booked through hotwire in the fall of 2006 and got the Extended Stay Deluxe downtown for under $50/night plus taxes. That was for stays in July. For this summer (2008) I have seen rates at the Homewood Suites by Hilton for $72/night plus taxes for a 2 bedroom suite. I booked it - last November. Granted, my stay is for May (arriving this Thursday!), but I know people who booked the exact same rate the same time in November for travel in July. When the rate was available, it was available for all dates in the summer.

The same with car rentals - so many people talk about how expensive car rentals are in Alaska. But if people plan well in advance, there are deals to be had. It is just that the companies can't offer many rooms or cars at these prices, so they don't last long. Generally I don't pay more than $125 including all fees for a week-long economy car rental in Anchorage (plus $15 x 2 for a taxi each way from and back to the airport).

You mention something close to the airport because you don't pick up the car until the next day. I assume that means you are picking up the car at the airport. Generally (though there are always exceptions), picking up a car at the airport adds 20%-25% to the total rental cost with all the airport fees. If you are picking up or returning on Saturday afternoon or Sunday, you are stuck with renting at the airport (off airport locations are not open most of the weekend). But if you can rent off airport, you might save a bundle. Or consider any hotel that offers an airport shuttle. Anchorage is not that big and you can probably get from the hotel back to the airport in 15-20 minutes depending on the time of day and traffic. Many hotels in midtown or downtown have airport shuttles.

John

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

webervations.com/magic-scripts/…anchorage.asp

You might try this link to Anchorage Bed and Breakfast accomodations.

Good luck.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

I say in Anchorage often, and hotels there are a bargain compared to the price we paid for a dump in Fort Lauderdale 2 years ago :(

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

If you are staying in Anchorage for three nights or more, you might want to book a vacation rental apartment. You can get a home for about the same price, and sometimes less, money than a hotel with kitchen, washer dryer, etc.

Try www.vrbo.com and plug in Anchorage in the search box.

East Coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

I booked a car for the end of May for 10 days about six months ago and I just saved $100.00 on it by reserving the same car again for the same time at the same car rental place! You just have to keeop checking! I just happened to be on the internet and thought I'd check it out and it's $100.00 cheaper! HOORAY!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

Let's start with the cost of living generally up here.

Milk starts at $3.50 a gallon, bread at $2.50 a loaf - those are starting prices and everything else is equally expensive. So you can imagine what wages are for staff, what it cost to build the hotel up here with transportation for all the building stuff, etc. Additionally, as said before, there is really only a 12-16 week window for tourism. It all adds up to a big price tag on rooms. Of course, if they couldn't fill the hotel from May to Sept. at the prices they are charging, they'd find a way to charge less so it is also a supply and demand situation. Folks can't really go 50 miles down the road and save money! You can get better prices by booking very early (many of our visitors are from other countries and plan their trips way in advance because it is a truly major holiday) and by trying websites like priceline.

Just think, you could live here - we can't get a bargain air fare from May to September because the airlines can basically fill the seats with tourists!

Hope you find a great room and a great price!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage Hotels Why so expensive??

Although I agree that deals are to be found, you often have to spend a lot of time online looking for those deals. I did get a great price for a car in Anchorage. In August 2007 someone posted on CC about the deals with Enterprise, so I did check it out and booked immediately for June 2008. That deal was not around for too long. However, I still have not found a good deal for a car when we are in Vancouver. I have checked often and through many different sites and using various discount codes. I am paying more for a two day rental in Vancouver than I am for a week in Anchorage.

We ended up booking almost all Bed and Breakfasts for our trip this June. We found the hotel prices very high. Whenever someone listed a good deal on hotels in Anchorage, the deal was not for the days were going to be there.

I do understand why costs are high in Alaska and I understand if I want to visit there I have to expect to pay more than in the lower 48. I tried to be thrifty where I could, knowing not everything is going to be a bargain.