We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

We'll have a long day in Anchorage on an August Saturday. This is the last day of our trip. We will have done and seen a lot so I think this day should be low key. The two things I identified as interesting were the Saturday market and the Native Heritage Center. It looks like we could do both. Which order would you do them? How long do you think each one requires to enjoy? Other ideas? I don't think we'll be up for biking -- although that did look interesting.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

If you are interested in the history of Alaska you will find the Heritage Center interesting. It has both indoor and outdoor displays. We spent about 2 hours there. You could spend more or less depending how much of the center you take in. We went to two performances and one movie. They have many other movie options and some other programs. So, it just depends on how much time you want to spend there.

I do not know anything about the market, but I think I would go there first and then when you get to the Heritage Center you can spend as much time as you have left to do what you want.

CA
Level Contributor
297 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

We thoroughly enjoyed the Native Heritage Center. We have friends who highly recommended that we go to the Saturday market, but we were unable to do that. I would go to the Native Heritage Center again.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

Hi, the market is a market - there are stalls with Alaska trinkets but most of what's there you see in markets elsewhere except the Alaska specific stuff which, by the time you've already traveled around, you've probably seen already. I love the market but if I had to choose, I'd go to the Native Heritage Center and then the market if you don't stay all day at the center. The Heritage Center has much more unique things to do and see.

Zichron Yaakov...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

If you have some free time (i.e. 2-3 hours), I highly recommend the segway tours. We took a segway guided tour last Friday, and enjoyed every minute.

In the beginning we were unsure whether we won't to do it, since I couln't get any specific recommendations regarding those tours, and this seemed a bit strange to me. But finally we decided to go for it, and we're so happy we did that. It took each one of us about 5 minutes to get the idea of what riding on a segway means, and after practicing for a litlle while we started strolling through downtown Anchorage and surrounding. Alan, the guide/owner, promisses a 90-120 min. tour. In fact, since nobody in our group had any time limits, we ended up having a 3 hours tour!!! The cost is $65/person - which is not too bad.

So if you get the chance - I highly recommend it.

www.segtours.net

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

Great advise from all - thanks

On those segway tours - I printed out their contact info earlier as it did look really cool. Is there (or should there be) a minimum age? I have a just turned 12 daughter who's not the tallest child you'll see.

Zichron Yaakov...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

I don't remember any age restrictions - only minimum weight restrictions. Sorry, I can't remember what was that minimum, but contact them and ask them. I tend to believe a 12 years old can do it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

Hi, so it was you I saw as I was heading into the courthouse on Friday! I get a bit more envious everytime I see the segway tours and, I'd bet, I'm going to end up taking one just to ride the segway! They do look like fun!

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
238 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

I must confess that I enjoyed the market more than the Native Heritage Center. It may have been my state of mind but I found it a little disappointing for the price. Had I possessed a 2 for 1 coupon I'd probably have left a bit happier.

The market has lots of stuff that you'd see elsewhere as far as shopping, but the food booths, smells, etc. reminded me of county fairs and summertime. I'd also suggest the old post office that is now a visitor center for the state park(s?). They have a nice set up with mounted (stuffed) animals and short films etc.

Take a little while and find the giant Wyland Whale mural on the wall of one of the downtown buildings. There's construction in the area so it's not quite as easy as it sounds but neat to see.

There's also a large building across from the market that is supposed to have some great displays in it. Okay - I'm totally forgetting of what but someone tried to stear us there and we ended up at the state park visitor center. We were told we missed something cool (can anyone save me here?).

If you want a day time interesting place to grab a unique pizza you could head to Humpy's. By night it may not be the place to take the kids but it's family friendly during the day. They also sell Humpy's shirts, etc.

We were kind of dreading our long day in Anchorage because we aren't really city people, but we ended up having a great time!

(You will too.)

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

I LOVED the Weekend Market and the Native Heritage Center!! If you're there the last part of Aug., you can really get some good deals at the market. However, as Kileysmom said if it was a choice between the two, I'd have to vote for the Heritage Center. It was sooo much more than we expected! For timing - we spent about 4 hours in the Center and about 2 hours in the market. You'll have a great time no matter what you choose to do in AK!!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Native Heritage Center/Market/Other - what order?

I'll post a trip report later but wanted to say that we did the Market and had a great time. Spent lots of time looking at native crafts, buying berry products. Between the market and lunch, we didn't have time for the NHC - so I guess that's yet one more reason we have to get back to Alaska!