We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain, rain, rain!

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
rain, rain, rain!

13 straight days of rain in Anchorage bowl area in September!

But the colors are beautiful with the golden birches, red high bush cranberry leaves, & the hillside tundra a patchwork of color that can be seen from town.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: rain, rain, rain!

=( is this typical? when will it stop! i'm going to be in anchorage tomorrow... hoping it will stop.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain, rain, rain!

It is nice out today no rain, and the forecast is no rain for a few days. It is beautiful out. The fall colors are at their peak.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain, rain, rain!

We had 17 days of straight rain this September in the Anchorage bowl. But lucky you! It seems to have stopped!

Hope you have a wonderful visit.

north carolina
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rain, rain, rain!

Very excited! Finally have my trip planned for next July.July 15-25th flying into Anc staying at GAH overnight.Drive to Denali stay till 7-21 drive to Seward and area then head back to Anc.Already got plane tickets.$619.oo from Charlotte N.C.I know i've seen on this site different views on getting plane tickets,but i felt it was a good time to go for it!My question is after reading about all the rain that Alaska has is it a good idea to just wear a Marmot precip jacket for a all day rainy day.What i am trying to say is this jacket good enough to keep one dry if hiking all day?Following the good advice on this site i have purchased one for my husband and myself.I still need to get the waterproof/breathable pants.We have rented a 30' from GAH.Already put deposit down for this also.My husband kids me also because i have my Fred Myers stor card too!!I like to plan in advance.Anyway we rented a 30' because we wil have 4 people and want to have enough room to enjoy and move around.We have decided to drive on Denali Highway either going or coming.I have read about all the concerns and i feel like i have to see this beautiful drive.Thanks again Denalicat,coalminer,fti,manitoba maple and everyone else that has helped me plan.I am sure i wil be back with more questions.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rain, rain, rain!

Lots of my friends backpack & hike with me in Marmot Precip... it is considered top-of-the-line in waterproof/breathable, especially for the price. You'll be just fine with that. However, be sure to pack a couple of insulation layers to go under it.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: rain, rain, rain!

HELLO! As we cannot be there and we "lived" ALASA in Spring, please tell us where can we we see some FALL COLORS pictures.

Regards to you all. We keep in touch through this wonderful way!

Florencia, from URUGUAY

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain, rain, rain!

The Anchorage Daily News has a collection of reader-submitted autumn pictures:

adn.com/photos/…530523.html

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rain, rain, rain!

We have only had a few days of rain up North - very clear today . . . beautiful stars last night and this morning. Heavy frost today and most of our leaves are already gone . . . sad to say, but just awaiting that first snowfall. Enjoy your fall Anchorage!! :)

Kissimmee,Florida
Level Contributor
221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rain, rain, rain!

Florencia, We were in Alaska in early Sept and took many fall color pictures. Here is a link to my photos. travel.webshots.com/album/566780779aRomNZ

We had beautiful weather. Most days sunny and blue skies.

Eileen

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rain, rain, rain!

coalminer, you have been lucky waaaay up north. We have had probably 20 days of rain so far in September & it's still raining as I speak. The mountains are covered with a lot of snow now & the fall colors are still magnificent.