We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any very good places to stay in Seward?

florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any very good places to stay in Seward?

I'm not talking Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. But is there anywhere at least the quality of a good Marriott? someplace that would be very quiet and restful? We'd like to stay in the Seward area for a night or two, but definitely need quiet. (We're elderly and poor sleepers, so need all the "help" we can get.) Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

There are many that will recommend bed and breakfasts in the area as Seward has many good ones. Seward is a small town and doesn't have hotels that many would consider "upscale".

Two of the newer hotels however are the Holiday Inn Express down on the harbor and the Seward Windsong Lodge that is out on Exit Glacier Road. I have stayed in both and would consider the Seward Windsong Lodge to be the quieter of the two in my experiences. They also have a wonderful restaurant on site.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Holiday Inn Express Anchorage
Holiday Inn Express...
398 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

I have heard that if you don't have a car, the shuttle offered by the Windsong Lodge can be unreliable. Just repeating what I heard from trip reports last year. So that might be a consideration.

And no, nothing like even a Marriott in Seward :-)

John

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

Windsong would be the most quiet since it's not in town.

All the rest of the hotels are located on busy streets either downtown or in the small boat harbor.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

If you go the B&B route, you could explain the situation and see if they don't have a room apart from the others. We stayed at Dairy Hill B&B last year and got both the rooms that are over their separate garage. We liked it because we didn't have to deal with other people waking up before us and making noise since we were totally separate.

florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

Thanks very much for replies.

We've never enjoyed B&B's (like more privacy and have never found them to be especially quiet; we do love upscale inns-- just not B&B's).

Can you tell me what Seward itself is like? We'll be in Anchorage for two nights pre-cruise and since we've been to Anchorage before, I thought it might be nice to stay in Seward one of those nights. From what you report, though, I think we'll stay put in Anchorage for the 2 nights (Capt Cook or Marriott). How much time before our ship embarks should we allow for a Seward explore? Is the town itself interesting, or is it mainly the little excursions from the town that make the area interesting? Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

Seward is a tiny (population 3000) fishing town. Here is a photo: http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/Seward-ak.jpg You can see the boat dock near the top, then the few blocks of the town toward the south.

I think it's charming, but anyone wanting the ammenities of a large city might disagree.

Some of the activities in/near Seward: Godwin Glacier or Ididaride sled dog tours, Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center, various Kenai Fjords tours, fishing, kayaking, hiking.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

Personally I think it would add a lot to your trip if you spent a night in Seward. Lots to do there as was mentioned. One highlight is a Kenai Fjords NP boat tour which allows you to see marine wildlife and a glacier much closer than you will ever get on your cruise ship.

Many other things as well. I am spending two nights in Seward this summer and am looking forward to it.

John

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

If you want peace and quiet, try Angel's Rest cabins just outside of Seward. They are individual cabins that sit right on the shore of the inlet in Lowell Point. No hotel services but the beauty of the surroundings is incredible. Very comfortable, roomy, well maintained. Good people that own/operate them too.

I would definitely spend the time in Seward over Anchorage and do a whale watching tour and visit the sealife center while there.

http://www.angelsrest.com/

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
on the lake...
Level Contributor
569 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

we almost skipped our stop in Seward the first time we were in Alaska, but after visiting the town, it became our favorite! Don't miss it!

We stayed at the Windsong Lodge. Nice, clean, quiet. Great restaurant on site. However, while we were out exploring, we found an area of town that we fell in love with way down on Lowells Point. I took a picture of a house that I adored. Ironically, after we got home and I was going through photos, etc. I discovered that the house I took a picture of was Angel's Rest B&B!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any very good places to stay in Seward?

Thank you for replies. We think it'd be too much of a hassle for us to stay one night in each place. So we're going to do both nights in Anchorage (Capt Cook) and hope to catch one of the tours out of Whittier, probably College Fjord. That way we'll only catch a glimpse of Seward, i.e. when we board our cruise, but I think it'd be more comfortable for us. I do appreciate the feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska