We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Anchorage

houston, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Anchorage

We will be spending Christmas in Anchorage this year. We have a 9 and 7 years old son and daughter. This will be the first time for us in Alaska. Can anyone suggest of any activities beside skiing/ thank you ....Nhue ho

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

H2O Oasis...a waterpark, a horse drawn sleigh ride or horseback riding, ice skating at Dimond Center.

If your in Anc on Dec 5th you can take the train to Seward for a day.

Mentioned in this post
Dimond Center Hotel
Dimond Center Hotel
490 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
houston, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

thanks..what about the "Northern Lights"? Can this be view in Anchorage?

Mentioned in this post
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

The Northern Lights can certainly be viewed from Anchorage but best is to be outside the city, away from the lights. It is really hit or miss though. I was in Fairbanks and Willow for 5 nights last March and no Northern Lights.

John

Mentioned in this post
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

If you are in Anchorage and the Northern Lights are "out" then drive away from the city for a good view. At one time I lived on Hiland Road in Eagle River and we had great views up there. If you head north on the Glenn Hwy take the Hiland Exit and stay left at the bottom of the exit and take the 1st left, you drive 1.5 miles up the hill and it flattens out with a view of Knik Arm, The Alaska Range and the Northern Lights if visible. This link is a picture of that view:

alaska.com/northern-lights/…

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River
Eagle River
Anchorage, AK
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

OK I must be tired tonight because all my lefts in the previous post should be rights. Take Glenn Hwy north to the Hiland Road exit stay right at the bottom of the exit and take your first right...that should get you there.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

The magic of Anchorage in the winter is that it becomes "The City of Lights." Everyone hangs lights everywhere. Downtown Anchorage is a fairyland.

Ice skating on Westchester Lagoon is a favorite. It is one of the most beautiful spots & it is sporadically hot mopped.

Anchorage Museum does a wonderful display Wonderland of Toys & Dolls of the World on a huge tree plus toys around the world display. Plus, Science in Toyland which I believe will be on display the rest of this year is one of the most remarkable hands-on kids show we've ever had.

http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Anchorage Museum at...
2,139 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

Wow, spacefry! What a fabulous picture of the northern lights and comet. Thanks for sharing that.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

I bought that pic from the Daily News since I actually saw the view and did not have a camera that could take that picture. If I recall that was a great year for the Northern Lights.

Boston...
Level Contributor
427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

Your kids will LOVE this restaurant, it was always my favorite growing up!

http://www.sourdoughmining.com/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Anchorage

Even though you do not ski, do not miss the drive down along the Turnagain Arm to Girdwood. It is a gorgeous drive anytime of the year. You could get a bite to eat at The Bake Shop.

Mentioned in this post
The Bake Shop
The Bake Shop
394 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK